Regular Contributor

Beware of the cinnamon that you use

I don't know if any of you are aware of this or not, but the cinnamon that is sold in our markets, and even our health food stores, is not true cinnamon at all! It is cassia, which is allowed to be called cinnamon because it is in the same family as cinnamon, but it isn't the same at all! It usually comes from either China or Vietnam. It contains high levels of coumarin, which is very toxic! If you use a lot of cinnamon, it can damage your liver and kidneys!

The REAL cinnamon is called Ceylon cinnamon, or true cinnamon, and is from Sri Lanka. It will say Ceylon Cinnamon on the label. It has very low, safe amounts of coumarin in it. I just found out all of this information while researching a good kind of cinnamon to buy, because I found my expensive, organic cinnamon, that I purchased from Whole Foods, didn't have a sweet taste to it at all.

True, Ceylon cinnamon has a much sweeter, better taste to it. I returned my bottle of cinnamon to Whole Foods and went online to find a retailer who sold a good quality Ceylon cinnamon. There are several of them. I chose an organic, natural company and placed an order for some. It has already shipped out.

Another interesting bit of information is that organic Ceylon cinnamon is the best way to go, since regular Ceylon cinnamon comes from the tips of the leaves. The organic kind comes from further inside the leaves of the tree and is stronger and sweeter. I have used so much cinnamon for such a long time and have had strange health issues for a long time. Since I stopped using the cassia cinnamon, I feel much better already!

Both England and Mexico now only sell and use Ceylon cinnamon! I hope that this information can help others in the same way that I was helped. Smile