Valued Contributor

Best budget pressure canner?

I am considering buying one. Can anyone recommend one that won't break the bank? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best budget pressure canner?

"Won't break the bank" is very subjective @rosehill.  What size and price range are you aiming for?

In the past I have used and been happy with both Mirro and Presto canners both of which can be found for between $60-100.

I would recommend though that you if at all possible you stretch your budget and buy the absolute best you can find.  That doesn't necessary mean the most expensive.

Personally, if I were looking for a pressure canner at this time I would be looking at All American.  They are pricey but with minimal care will last through several generations of heavy use!

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Are you doing alot of canning? Most the pressure cookers can do canning but of course not alot at one time. My sil and I used to can and she had a really big canner that could do 8 quarts at a time. I would buy as good a one as you can depending on what you want to do. Go use goggle for more info.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, Marp and Wagirl, I won't be using it alot- so $100 or a tad more is what I want to spend. The All American is a beautiful piece-I have seen it, but it is more than I have to spend. Thanks to both of you.

Occasional Contributor

I have a 23 qt Presto that is fabulous. It was about $84 I think at the A place. (Not sure I should mention the name). It does a perfect job, and didn't break the bank I can process  16-pint jars or 7 quarts in one fell swoop and I use it for water bath processing, too.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Presto, too. It works beautifully. It was right around $100.

My only problem with it (and this is my problem, not really a fault with the canner) is that I have a glass-top stove. The pressure canner does not come up to pressure on the stove....something about the flat surface of the stove with the round surface of the canner. When I want to can, we use the side burner to our gas grill and that works beautifully. Just mentioning that as an FYI, more than anything. I can dozens of jars of Honey-Glazed Red Onions every year in the pressure canner and we use the gas grill. 

We got our canner at a local home improvement store. I wasn't sure at the time exactly how to use it. The clerk at the store opened the box, took everything out of the box, and she and I sat down right in the middle of the aisle and she explained how to use the pressure canner. Turns out she had the same model and she was a pro at pressure canning! Now how cool is that?

For water-bath canning, I use my MIL's old water bath canner. When I first married her son, I had no interest whatsoever in canning. Several years ago, I asked her if she still had her canning supplies. She looked at me and laughed. Said all her canning stuff was in the basement waiting for me! She kept it all, thinking that someday I would want everything. She was right. I can every summer now.

Respected Contributor

Nesco makes a great 6 L one - PC6-25.  its a 3 in 1 meaning you can sear and slow cook in it also..it is easy to understand and use and is digital..You an usually find them online for about $69

A searing or browining function is essential in a pressure cooker... NEsco is still a good solid company, too...

PS, I do not use it for canning- I can the old fashined way...

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

My only problem with it (and this is my problem, not really a fault with the canner) is that I have a glass-top stove. The pressure canner does not come up to pressure on the stove....something about the flat surface of the stove with the round surface of the canner. When I want to can, we use the side burner to our gas grill and that works beautifully. Just mentioning that as an FYI, more than anything. I can dozens of jars of Honey-Glazed Red Onions every year in the pressure canner and we use the gas grill. 

We got our canner at a local home improvement store. I wasn't sure at the time exactly how to use it. The clerk at the store opened the box, took everything out of the box, and she and I sat down right in the middle of the aisle and she explained how to use the pressure canner. Turns out she had the same model and she was a pro at pressure canning! Now how cool is that?

For water-bath canning, I use my MIL's old water bath canner. When I first married her son, I had no interest whatsoever in canning. Several years ago, I asked her if she still had her canning supplies. She looked at me and laughed. Said all her canning stuff was in the basement waiting for me! She kept it all, thinking that someday I would want everything. She was right. I can every summer now.

@PamelaSue72 I just wanted to say your post made me smile.  What a lovely story about your MIL . . . thank you for sharing!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

I've used the Presto 23 qt canner on a glasstop stove and had no problems getting it up to pressure. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval