Trusted Contributor

Any suggestions for moderate priced, at least 6 to 8 cup, rice cookers?

I purchased a Wolfgang Puck rice cooker thinking it would be much larger than it turned out to be.  Also picked up a cookbook for use with rice cookers.  Sent the WP rice cooker back and am now searching for a moderate priced one so I can start making some of these recipes.

If anyone has any siggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing about them.  I am leaning toward a 6 to 8 cup size (cooked rice) as it will be primarily for me and I see no need to purchase one substantially larger than that.  Maybe a 10 cup at the largest.

It appears that Aroma is the top selling brand in rice cookers but really don't know if that also makes them the best? 

Thanks so much for any recommendations!

Super Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for moderate priced, at least 6 to 8 cup, rice cookers?

For rice  I use my 5QT Wolfgang Puck electric pressure cooker.

white rice  6 minutes

brown rice 13 minutes

You have to experiment with the amount of rice, amount of water, amount of time

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Respected Contributor

I have the WP 3 cup (the smallest one) and an Aroma 5 cup (might be 6 cup).  The Aroma works fine.  I got the Aroma at Walmart for less than $20.  Have fun with whatever cooker you get. 

I also have the rice cooker cookbook.  It's very helpful.  I find I have to adjust the cooking time, though, so be patient and experiment. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Zojirushi, it's not a 20 dollar Aroma but makes excellent rice and has keep warm and extended keep warm and reheat. It's a quality machine that has a great track record in longevity. I have a 10 cup model. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't know what you consider a "moderately priced" rice cooker because that can be a subjective term, but I think many Aroma rice cookers are under $50, which I think is moderate next to a Zojirushi fuzzy logic cooker.

My mom and I both have Aroma rice cookers and love them. I have two, one that has a saute-then-simmer button and one that has a slow cooker button. Both also have steam buttons and came with a steam tray. The one with the saute-then-simmer button makes better rice. It also has separate buttons for white and brown rice and a delay timer. The delay timer is nice because I can set my slow cooker up for a meal, throw rice in the pot with the delay timer, and come home to find both finished at the same time.

Brown rice takes longer to cook, but if you soak it in water for a few hours first, you can cook it in less time and use the white rice button to get perfect brown rice. That's what I do when I use the delay timer. White rice came come out mushy with the delay timer.

I've used the steam tray for fish and for pot stickers and it worked very well.

The Aroma website also has dozens of recipes for things you can make in the rice cooker. I've made a few of them and have used the rice cooker to make spaghetti. I used the one without the slow cooker button for that and it was easy.

The pot on the inside of each has a non-stick coating and goes in the dishwasher easily, which is great.

I would definitely recommend an Aroma rice cooker because they make great rice with ease and are versatile, as well.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I have actually looked at both the brands mentioned.  While I probably will use it on occasion for just plain rice making, I am intending to use it more for many of the recipes I now have with this cookbook.

I did see the Z brand with one fairly well priced model (under $50 as I recall now.) And have looked at a few Aroma's on Amazon as they do have a lot to select from.

I know "moderately priced" is very subjective so should have provided a bit more info.  Anything under or around $50 is kind of what I am aiming for.

I really do appreciate all the ideas and will continue to check the Aroma's along with that one model of the Z brand (sorry but would mess up the spelling if I didn't look it up).  The Aroma that sears then simmers sounds pretty interesting.

Again, thanks much~

Honored Contributor

Mine is a fuzzy logic Zojirushi that I paid about 200 dollars for more than 5 years ago. At our house it's more than paid for itself. I had a basic rice cooker/steamer before I bought this and I won't be going back to those. But we eat rice frequently and I only wanted a machine that makes wonderful rice. I don't care if it does anything else. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I have a Vita Clay rice cooker. It is a clay pot and not teflon, so no issues there.  My two Wolfgang Puck rice cookers had the teflon come off just after a year, so I went with a clay pot.  I also use my electric pressure cooker and would recommend an Intapot since it is a stainless steel pot with no teflon.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for the Aroma machine.  Reasonably-priced and works well after three years of use.