Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Thoughts On The All Clad?

I'm not tempted in the least.

I've been cooking with my Farberware since 1985. It still looks brand new.  I only had one handle crack that I replaced about 8 years ago. 

Super Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm not tempted in the least.

I've been cooking with my Farberware since 1985. It still looks brand new.  I only had one handle crack that I replaced about 8 years ago. 

I have 3 Farberware 18/10 pieces, 2 skillets, ann 8 and a 10 inch, a 5 quart  stockpot with lid. I don't use them anymore. I have a set of Cook's Essential non stick. Don't know how old the Farberware is, it was here when I moved back in 2008. Iuse to use them a lot, especiallly the small skillet and the stockpot. There was a small 1 quart saucepan that only I could damage, ended up tossing it. All the pieces have that thick impact bonded bottom.I love my fairly ne Cook's Essentials. I almost bought Wolfgang's stainless steel set a couple of times20170221_140603.jpg

Honored Contributor

I have a set of hard anodized cookware and a set of waterless stainless steel.  The SS has been put away for several years, but I'm thinking of pulling it out again and ditching the hard anodized.  If I were just starting out, I would invest in the all-clad but not at this stage of my life.  That said, my future DIL wants all-clad so I plan on getting a nice set for her.  It's gonig to be expensive no matter where I buy it, but I found a place online with a good price, bonus GWP piece, and free shipping so I'm thinking about ordering and storing it until the bridal shower.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I have a set of hard anodized cookware and a set of waterless stainless steel.  The SS has been put away for several years, but I'm thinking of pulling it out again and ditching the hard anodized.  If I were just starting out, I would invest in the all-clad but not at this stage of my life.  That said, my future DIL wants all-clad so I plan on getting a nice set for her.  It's gonig to be expensive no matter where I buy it, but I found a place online with a good price, bonus GWP piece, and free shipping so I'm thinking about ordering and storing it until the bridal shower.

@JeanLouiseFinchYou may want to signup for Williams-Sonoma's email list. They have the best selection.

Super Contributor

Can't afford All-Clad, unless I see it at the thrift store (which I've been blessed enough to have happen three times).  I have no idea if anything I have is tri-ply, etc.  I just know that the 12" skillet, the (?) 8-quart stock pot with lid, and the (?) 3-quart sauce pot (additionally labeled "LTD") are the best pans I've ever had.  I LOVE them, and will never give them up.  I snatched up the skillet before the thrift store employee was even able to place the pan on the shelf.  ;-)  LOL  I have used all three pans in various ways, with amazing successes.  I think I paid maybe between $6-15 for each pan (yes, I felt like I won the lottery).  I find they're easy to clean, too.

Whatever cookware that you already have, regardless of brand or age, if it works well for you, including clean-up, and is in good/great condition, I'd say, forget about getting new stuff.  Happy cooking!

Esteemed Contributor

I considered the All Clad TSV but realized I didn't need most of those pots pans. I've been looking for a good 12" fry pan with a lid, since I no longer use my non-stick pans. I'll never use them again, since they're starting to chip and flake.

I have a Farberware set from the 1980s that my parents bought us as a housewarming gift. I've used them half to death and they're still in excellent condition. But, the 12" skillet doesn't have sloped sides, which I like. After watching the All Clad demo, I decided I wanted the 12" frying pan w/lid. I checked QVC which was $119.99 + $10 shipping, and then checked Amazon, which was $107 with free shipping with Prime.  No brainer!

I got it the other day but haven't used it yet. It's like I'm afraid to get it dirty because it's so shiny it looks like sterling silver. But I will!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
New Contributor

Hi Snowpuppy,

If it were me I would try one piece from the All Clad Line. They have a bit of heft to them and that turns some off. For me I love it cause they are durable and make whatever I am cooking turn out amazing. I did open stock from WS and it wasn't cheap but they are so good to help you find that perfect piece. My first piece was my Saute' pan and I make the meanest stewed squash on the planet with it! LOL! I have been hooked on All Clad ever since. I am thinking a stock pot might be in my future once I get back to working again!

Valued Contributor

I am very familiar with the small town that the all clad plant is located. Once a year and on one weekend they have a sale. I went once and purchased a few pans. If I was starting over and cooked like I once did this would be my choice. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did the unthinkable! I gave away the 4,6 & 8qt Farberware stockpots I bought in the '90's, made in the USA. They still looked beautiful.

I picked up the All Clad configuration with lasagna pan instead of the TSV. What sold me was the handles. Having the larger, slotted handles that are riveted and a helper handle on the saucier.

I think the lasagna pan will make a fabulous open roaster for turkey breast which we have often.