Regular Contributor

American's Test Kitchen Cheesecake

I am curious about this recipe . . . ATK baked it very low (200) for 3-1/2 hours, then cranked up the heat for a few miniutes to brown the top.  3-1/2 hrs is a very long time!  Has anyone had any experience with this recipe, or one like it??  I have baked various cheesecakes for many years, but never one like this.  Hope to hear from some of you!

Respected Contributor

Re: American's Test Kitchen Cheesecake

Never baked a cheesecake at that low a temp for that long.  Did the top of the cheesecake not crack?  I don't mind when it does, but I know a lot of people are very fussy about that.  I've been baking my cheesecake recipe for years, which I love more than any I've tasted.  It's made with small curd cottage cheese and gives the cake great texture.  Please let us know how it came out when you try it.

Regular Contributor

I saw this NY cheesecake on ATK this past weekend and just made it yesterday. Followed the recipe almost to the tee with the exception of straining any lumps and also checking it  after 45 minutes for any air bubbles. It turned out scrumptuous. I was a little leery at first with cooking it at such a low temp and also turning the heat up to 500 to bronwn it. But, I did it. Turned out fabulous. No cracks, nicely browned on top (only took 3 minutes in my oven to brown). I am planning to slice the rest of it and freeze. My husband and I each had a piece last night. Very creamy. Not too sweet. One thing though, the first piece was a little hard to get out due to the crust. But, the second piece came out great since I could get a spatula under the crust better. A++++

Honored Contributor

I haven't cooked their recipe, but I've cooked lots of cheesecakes at a high heat for 15 minutes and then down to 225 for an hour and 15 minutes and then another 3 hours with the oven off. It works great. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

CocoaMolly -- Thanks!  Sounds like it was a real winner and I will try it next time I make a cheesecake.  I think I will make a sour cream topping for it.  I will tell you as a "thank you" for your reply that last time I made a cheesecake I used the recipe for Dulce de Leche cheesecake (with condensed milk) from the Pati's Mexican Table website.  It was wonderful, has a dulce de leche topping.  Just a heads up!

Contributor

Would someone post the recipe.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

If I were you, @Nuisie1, I'd just do a search for "America's Test Kitchen cheesecake."  You'll find there is a lot of information about it, more than just the recipe.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@Nuisie1 wrote:

Would someone post the recipe.  Thank you.

Hi Nuisie1, 

Here is a link to the recipe and all the information, I hope it works.   

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/8208-foolproof-new-york-cheesecake?token=07b17d2cfc6910dd...

The only way to access this recipe is if you have a website membership, if the link does not work, you can sign up for the trial period and get it that way.

tkins

Honored Contributor

You need a log in, but you don't need a paid membership to see the current seasons recipes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

may i recommend this recipe? i have posted it numerous times and we have been making this same recipe since the 1970s. it is from an old set of cookbooks my mom still has. it is a delicious creamy cheesecake versus being a somewhat dry, crumbly one.

charcoal room cheesecake (johnny johnstons charcoal room, new york city)

3/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs (or you can use your favorite plain cookie)

2 T butter

1 cup plus 5 T sugar

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

1  T flour (i use wondra)

2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup toasted slivered blanched almonds (i usually omit these)

have butter cheese and eggs at room temperature

mix crumbs and butter and 2 T sugar and blend well with hands

press onto the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.

cream cheese well.

slowly beat in one cup of sugar.

then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

add one teaspoon of vanilla and the flour and mix well again.

pour into prepared pan.

bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 40 minutes or until set.

remove from oven and increase temperature to extremely hot (500 degrees).

mix sour cream, 3 T sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla.

gently spread onto the cake.

return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes.

turn off oven and leave oven door open to allow cheesecake to cool for a while.

remove pan and allow cheesecake to fully cool outside of the oven.

chill thoroughly prior to serving (i like it to cool down for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator).

remove rim of pan and sprinkle the top of cake with almonds.

this cheesecake is a tried and true recipe for many years in our home. it never fails to get compliments and no one can believe it isnt a bakery or pastry shop cheesecake. you can even add fruit/glaze to the top if you like, but it really doesnt need it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein