Highlighted
Super Contributor

Amazing 16 lb NuWave Turkey Started at 1 PM and Ate at 4:45

Once again we had a superbly juicy turkey done in the NuWave oven that finished before I even expected based on the "recommended" times/weight from NuWave.

Even before cooking it, I used the Alton Brown convection method of thawing it and it went so fast I was forced to stop it overnight or it would be thawed too soon in the morning. Using a 5 gallon cooler and the 16lb bird, it went from completely frozen to about 90% thawed from 6PM to 9:30 PM. In the late morning on Thursday I took the lid off of the cooler and again allowed water to drip one drop every 2-4 seconds and the bird was completely thawed by noon when I took it out of the wrapper, rinsed it out and set it back in the refrigerated water. At about 12:50 I took it out of the water, patted it dry and then started it upside down by about 1 PM after injecting some creole butter into the legs, thighs, breasts and back portions. According to my calculations, it was due to be turned over in 96 minutes, but I looked at the progress after a couple of bastes and decided to turn it about about 90 minutes.

What happened next suprised even me as after turning the bird over and after a few bastings, I took the temperature in the thigh after 75+ minutes and it already was over 160 degrees but I continued cooking for a few more minutes and stopped it before 3:45PM and already the temperature had exceeded in some parts of the bird 200.

I then mashed the potatoes that I had warming in my pressure cooker while the bird was still sitting in the NuWave resting. After finishing them I packed them in my thermal bowl and loaded them into the car. Next I lifted out the turkey and set it in a roaster pan with a lid and then separated the fat from the juices and put the juices into a Lock & Lock and loaded the car and drove to parents home where after carving the bird, we were eating at 4:45 PM.

Amazing bird that you could wring out the juices from the breast !

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View