Esteemed Contributor

A few weeks ago, I had coffee at a friend's house.  I asked her the brand and she told me it was Aldi's Breakfast Blend.  Figures.

A few days later, hubby and I were in the Aldi's not far from me (but not the one I originally went to) and I told him I needed to pick up some K-Cups.

I got the K-Cups and a 4 pound chicken to fit in my crock pot.

I wasn't as disgusted by this Aldi's.  The aisles were free of pallet movers, at least.

I went to that same one this morning.  By now I know what to expect.

When I got out of the car, the couple parked next to me offered me their cart.  I thanked them and offered them a quarter, which was in my hand.  They declined it.  Very sweet!  So I'm going into the store with a smile.

I didn't bring any bags, but I got everything on my metal list and then some.  I took my time shopping and noticed that the prices are tremendously cheaper than the chains for most things that I buy.  I ended up spending less than $40 for this week's groceries, including a 4 pound chicken that's in the crock pot now and a bag of Gala apples.

The cashier asked if I wanted some bags (as he threw my items in the cart).  I asked if they were free.  He said no and so did I.  He gave me a bag.  Another smile!

On the way to my car, a couple was getting out of their car and I gave them the cart.  They were smiling on the way into the store.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

So glad you had a better Aldi's experience. I really like my Aldi's-i consider it a blessing that I have one so close. Whatever the reason, I think people are so much friendlier there. Don't forget to try the, 'Mosur Roth' dark chocolate bars!Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh HonnyBrown, I am so glad you gave them a second chance and was much happier on your second go round!  I know they do take a bit of getting used to so I'm glad things went better on this trip.

And thanks for paying it forward with the shopping cart, good karma is coming your way!

Honored Contributor

There are a handful of Aldi stores here.  I went to the closest one and it formed my opinion of the chain.  Since everyone I know loves the store, I ventured to one a little farther away and it was like night and day.  Whenever I'm in that area, I drop in.

Super Contributor

We have an Aldi's but I've never been.  From this thread I know that you have to pay a quarter for your cart and bring your own bags.  What else do I need to know before I go?  You don't have to buy things in bulk, do you?  Do they have name brands?  

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

So glad you had a better Aldi's experience. I really like my Aldi's-i consider it a blessing that I have one so close. Whatever the reason, I think people are so much friendlier there. Don't forget to try the, 'Mosur Roth' dark chocolate bars!Smiley Very Happy

Lacey, thank you for the recommendation!

When I first got the coffee, I picked up some Maple French Toast pastries and they were divine!  I can't wait to try the dark chocolate bars.

Honored Contributor

That's a very good point GCR18.  I am lucky, the three by me are all clean, well stocked and well run.  Makes all the difference in the world who is running the place.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh HonnyBrown, I am so glad you gave them a second chance and was much happier on your second go round!  I know they do take a bit of getting used to so I'm glad things went better on this trip.

And thanks for paying it forward with the shopping cart, good karma is coming your way!

mtc, I'm glad I gave them another chance also.  Maybe the first visit was sticker shock. 

The $1.99 K-Cups and the 4 pound chickens are worth it for me.  I can't find 4 pound whole chickens anywhere.

I loved the fact that I could pay it forward with the cart!  I hope they did the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

There are a handful of Aldi stores here.  I went to the closest one and it formed my opinion of the chain.  Since everyone I know loves the store, I ventured to one a little farther away and it was like night and day.  Whenever I'm in that area, I drop in.

GCR, the first one that I went to was just yuk.  It was cluttered, the aisles were blocked and some other things that really disgusted me.  I couldn't see the hype.

The one I went to today, like you said, it was night and day.  I found everything that was on my list and the prices were great.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack1 wrote:

We have an Aldi's but I've never been.  From this thread I know that you have to pay a quarter for your cart and bring your own bags.  What else do I need to know before I go?  You don't have to buy things in bulk, do you?  Do they have name brands?  

The most important thing to remember is they only take cash or debit cards and no coupons.

The majority of the items there are their own label but you will also see some name brands mixed in (I got a great deal on Uncle Ben's rice bags the other day and Charmin).

Things come in normal sizes (not bulk like Costco or Sam's).

hth.