Respected Contributor

•••ALERT: Major Frozen Chicken Recall, SALMONELLA Outbreak•••

ARTICLE: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/17/alert-theres-a-major-frozen-chicken-recall-after-salmonella-ou...

7/17/15: "The recent Canadian salmonella outbreak is apparently spreading to the United States.

If you've recently purchased frozen chicken, we suggest that you cut your losses and avoid cooking it.

This is because Aspen Foods is recalling two million pounds of frozen chicken due to an outbreak of salmonella.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 11 people have recently become ill with salmonella in the United states.

Three people became ill in Minnesota because of frozen chicken by Aspen Foods.

Eight people became ill in Minnesota and Wisconsin because of chicken by Barber Foods.

Thus, the salmonella outbreak is rapidly occurring.

In a recent statement, the USDA said it was concerned that "some product may be in consumers' freezers."

Trust us, you don't want to be one of those consumers. Symptoms of salmonella illness reportedly include diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever.

Throw out your frozen chicken!

The recall by Aspen Foods applies to raw, breaded stuffed chicken breasts manufactured from April 15 to July 10.

The Koch Poultry Company of Chicago, which owns Aspen, reportedly said that the recall applies to breaded cordon bleu, breaded broccoli and cheese, breaded chicken kiev, breaded chicken parmesan, and breaded buffalo-style chicken.

Similarly, the Barber Foods recall specifically applies to 2-pound, 4-oz. boxes of "premium entrees breaded-boneless raw stuffed chicken breasts with mean kiev."

Basically just stop buying breaded chicken and you'll hopefully be in the clear.

If you do keep your frozen chicken and trust that it's safe, make sure to cook it thoroughly.

The USDA reportedly said that consumers might not be cooking the chicken well enough to fully kill the salmonella bacteria.

It must be noted that although the chicken may appear to be pre-prepared, it is indeed raw meat.

Therefore, microwaving the product is not sufficient.

The raw meat must be cooked thoroughly to eliminate the bacteria."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: •••ALERT: Major Frozen Chicken Recall, SALMONELLA Outbreak•••

Here are more articles:

::

"USDA NEWS RELEASE:

Aspen Foods Recalls Frozen, Raw, Stuffed & Breaded Chicken Products Due to Possible Salmonella Enteritidis Contamination"

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive...

"2 salmonella outbreaks leave 10 ill, prompting chicken recalls"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/health/salmonella-outbreak-chicken-recalls/

"Frozen Chicken Distributed Nationwide Recalled After Salmonella Illnesses"

http://ktla.com/2015/07/17/frozen-chicken-distributed-nationwide-recalled-after-salmonella-illnesses...

"Massive Chicken Recall: 1.7 Million Pounds of Barber Products May Be Contaminated With Salmonella"

https://www.yahoo.com/health/massive-chicken-recall-1-7-million-pounds-of-124066690182.html

Honored Contributor

Thank you. Guess I'm in the clear since I don't buy breaded chicken.

Trusted Contributor

i ate out at a restaurant and had pecan crusted chicken, hoping its not the same thing??? i've had stomach pains on & off and diarrhea alot...  been going on for 5 or  6 days  didnt have it at all for 1 day than woke up to bad stomach pains and diarrhea that lasted all night..  it may not even be related.... but if it continues i'm going to the doc 

Respected Contributor

denisexoxo,

I hope you're ok!

Honored Contributor

i have some of these in my freezer.....i think we have eaten a few already. i received an email from schwans and also received a phone call. next time our driver is here i can give him back the remaining items for a full refund.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I just bought a 2 pound bag of frozen raw chicken tenders from Walmart yesterday.  These aren't breaded.  Are they ok?

Respected Contributor

@denisexoxo wrote:

i ate out at a restaurant and had pecan crusted chicken, hoping its not the same thing??? i've had stomach pains on & off and diarrhea alot...  been going on for 5 or  6 days  didnt have it at all for 1 day than woke up to bad stomach pains and diarrhea that lasted all night..  it may not even be related.... but if it continues i'm going to the doc 

i hope you feel better !  definately see a doctor ! 5 days way is too long for those symptoms

Respected Contributor

one of the companies involved in the chicken recall is Sysco - Sysco is a food service operations co that sells prepared foods to restaurants, schools, healthcare facilities.  ever wonder why all those salads and coconut shrimp apps always look the same?

i also reminded my senior Mom about this recall becuase she likes to go to Friendly's and has friends who enjoy a light bite to eat.  and i'm almost certain their food is Sysco. i know McDonalds uses them too but a lot of casual dining chains do too. i see their big tractor trailers at night driving the interstates, they deliver early in the morning to restaurants.

Respected Contributor

Here is a list of brands from foodsafety.gov site.  The brand I have is not listed.

• Acclaim
  • Antioch Farms
  • Buckley Farms
  • Centrella Signature
  • Chestnut Farms
  • Family Favorites
  • Kirkwood
  • Koch Foods
  • Market Day
  • Oven Cravers
  • Princess
  • Rose