Super Contributor

Re: A question re Aldi's.......

Took a break from packing to read some more of your posts. Thank you again. I love my new home and look forward to this adventure. I am not a Wal-Mart food shopper, so when I did an internet check on available markets, I admit to being confused. Your suggestions were (and are) very helpful.

Finally @lolakimono - thanks for the suggestion re the suggestion on how to pronounce the town "Wooster". My husband is a Buckeye (born and raised) and he has already schooled me in how to say the name of my new hometown. As a newbie to my new home state, I appreciate any and all suggestions and helpful hints.

You are the best!!

Trusted Contributor

Love, love, love Aldi!!! Just went there today, as a matter of fact! They have potted annuals specifically to attract butterflies for $3.99 each. I bought some last year & they did so well! They flowered into the fall and grew to be huge plants! I picked up a few today as they always sell out quickly.

And yes, the food is awesome! I like their fish selection ~ just put a piece of coconut crusted tilapia in the oven for dinner tonight. Everyone loves the mini croissants, too! I think you'll really enjoy shopping there!

Respected Contributor

Really like the store and would certainly go there more often if it was closer. Many products but few of each variety; no name brands but their brands are quite good.

Contributor

Aldi's

Some great values, and yes prices are in general a lot better than a standard grocery store. I do buy some foods/products.......

The bad, no organics, look at veggies and other foods, many from China....... I don't buy food from China ( Remember baby food, formula, pet food....... plus so much more, no quality control, I don't trust for my family or pets!).

Same goes for meat, who knows where it comes from, antibiotics, hormones, inhumane treatment of animals, fed things they never should eat... you get it, (you get what you pay for I guess). Produce never looks fresh, even though sign states from local farms?

Now the facial products from Germany have good ratings, and seem good. A lot of good products.

Do your research, read labels, I say...

Respected Contributor

OK, I just got back from Aldi - I stopped in "just" for some hot dog buns (made without HFCS), since I found some hot dogs in the freezer that I had forgotten about. You'd think I'd have learned by now you can't get just one thing! They had naan, which makes the BEST pizza crust, so I got a few packages, some fat, juicy blackberries for 99¢, as well as a pineapple for 99¢. Organic milk was was $3.29 - the closest store to me has started carrying a lot of organic products, including dairy and produce. I notice they also have (at least right now) a ton of gluten free products - crackers, cookies, mixes, etc. I get Stevia at the best price I've seen anywhere - 40 packets for $1.99. My dogs adore their 75¢ hot dogs as a treat; they're also a good way to sneak in their heartworm/flea pills - just put a slit in the hot dog, and stick the pill in. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} There's absolutely no risk in trying their products - if you don't like them they both replace it AND give you your money back!

For those who are wary of buying other than "big brands," often the Aldi employees can tell you who makes a particular product: for example, the soups are from Campbell's, the cereals are from General Mills, etc. - it's just the label that's different...and, of course, the much lower price. (Right now I'm eating a Philly Swirl ice cup, but out of a box that said, I think, "Ice Cream Shoppe" - half the price of Philly Swirl brand.)

I did some research on the face cream - it's actually rated better than some costing over $100! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} (It's $3.99.)

They have the cutest purses this week - $24.99, and really good quality. I was glad to see they're almost gone already, because they sure are tempting....but I did get a kitchen floor mat for $9.99; I had one just like it before, but paid something like $14.99 at Costco.

Can't beat Aldi! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Double post

Honored Contributor

Do any of you know if they have any USA fish/seafood products? So much of it today comes from Asia/China.

Honored Contributor

On 5/6/2014 donasmom said:

Thank you so much for all your input. We are moving to Wooster, Ohio. Given all you say, I am really looking forward to shopping there! Again, thanks!

Welcome to Ohio! Wooster is an awesome area! Not sure where you are coming from, but Ohio has so many hidden treasures. Wooster is a great town, just the right size in my estimation. I'm a country girl, but I could easily live in Wooster, and we spend lots of time there. Really close to Ohio's Amish country with all the hidden treasures there as well.

Aldi's is seen as a cut rate store by many, and definitely not full of all the national brands, but something you should try a couple of times and see what products that you like from there. I work it into my regular round of grocery shopping, as there are lots of great sales at the other local stores in my area, and I hit several stores each week. They have really upscaled their stores in the last few years, and the one in Wooster is pretty nice.

When you get to the area, be sure to visit The Barn in Smithville for a great buffet on Saturday and Sunday as well. There is a great Rubbermaid outlet store, four stories high, in the center of downtown for a great selection of Rubbermaid products and Little Tykes toys as well.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/6/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

True, emmiesmom - I like their slogan of, "If we matched other stores' prices we'd have to charge you more!" {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've gotten sheet sets there, small furniture....even a pool!

Allegheny - Aldi and Trader Joe's are run by two brothers from Germany (one each chain). I guess that's why they offer so many German products, at least at Aldi. (We don't have a Trader Joe's here...yet.)

I love Trader Joe's too!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

I certainly could be wrong, but I thought Aldi was a German owned company......I will continue to support my Florida based, employee owned Publix.....