Honored Contributor

Re: 10 all-american foods that foreigners cant stand

On 4/14/2014 SeaRae said:

We lived in Belgium when I was little, and my parents told me they wouldn't eat corn, there. They considered it only fit for livestock.

Oh, I loved Belgium! It was probably my favorite country from back when I lived in Western Europe. So beautiful.

Now that I see the list I'll have to admit that I like peanut butter. But not jelly - gross! I like some jams, though.

I could do some gravy, but I'm picky. Grits - I'm from the West Coast so it's not something I ever saw anywhere I've ever lived, although I do know what it is just from seeing it on tv. It's not something that I have ever tried or had the notion to try.

I do like some American chocolate. Clearly, I'm not a connoisseur of chocolate because I love milk chocolate and not so much dark chocolate. My husband brought me home a bunch of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Marshmallow Eggs so I'm happy. Smiley Happy

I do like some grocery store breads but definitely NOT any kind of white bread. That's nasty, but I like a decent whole grain or sourdough.

Esteemed Contributor

Well the foreigners can just stay home and leave the salty, sugary, processed foods to us.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm a foreigner.

Trusted Contributor

After reading the link, I guess my question is,"What was the purpose of this article?" And, who are they? They being the ones that supposedly conducted this survey. Was this a double blind survey? A mini selection? Are the "foreigners" identified? Or, as another poster said, a way to fill up space. I am always amused at the level of vanity of those that sit in judgement of how people chose to eat. Or, being the ever growing cynic, perhaps this is another attempt to label Americans as too fat and not eating healthy enough. It appears like propaganda to me, but, in looking at the replies.....it did the trick and pulled people in.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Puppy Lips said:

Well the foreigners can just stay home and leave the salty, sugary, processed foods to us.

Hahaha!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

On 4/14/2014 brewhaha said:

I guess I'm a foreigner.

Ditto!

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Deanie said:

After reading the link, I guess my question is,"What was the purpose of this article?" And, who are they? They being the ones that supposedly conducted this survey. Was this a double blind survey? A mini selection? Are the "foreigners" identified? Or, as another poster said, a way to fill up space. I am always amused at the level of vanity of those that sit in judgement of how people chose to eat. Or, being the ever growing cynic, perhaps this is another attempt to label Americans as too fat and not eating healthy enough. It appears like propaganda to me, but, in looking at the replies.....it did the trick and pulled people in.

Lighten up! It's just a fun little thing with some truth in in as far as I am concerned. And by the way, I'd agree with saying Americans are too fat and not eating healthy enough. Just go to any grocery store and look at the shelves and the shoppers. Well, MOST grocery stores, not to mention convenience stores.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Sooner said:
On 4/13/2014 Karena said:

Ummm...I guess this blogger doesn't know that grits came by way of African slaves, who ate the equivalent called eb in Africa. LOL

Corn, from which grits is made, is a new-world product. NOT from Africa. Its origin is with Native Americans.

Hi Sooner - Of course corn originated in the Americas. The Portuguese brought it from the Americas in the 16th century where it quickly became a staple. The corn-based recipe, similar to GRITS, which is what the article mentions, came to be popular in the U.S. south by way of African slaves.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/13/2014 sunshine45 said:

on the list:

red velvet cake

grocery store bread

biscuits and gravy

peanut butter and jelly

grits

chocolate, american

bacon and eggs

spray cheese

casserole

cereal

Corndogs are on the list. They are next to last, right before meatloaf. Not that order was mentioned as important in the article. But that means there were more than 10 items in the list and the author can't count! LOL
KJPA