Esteemed Contributor

Re: 10 all-american foods that foreigners cant stand

On 4/13/2014 Pagan said:
On 4/13/2014 NYC Susan said:

I don't put much value on this. My British relatives would definitely disagree with it, and so would friends of mine who live in Asia and elsewhere. I know many "foreigners" who don't fit into this at all.

It's just a generalization, nothing more. Kiss

I'm not sure! This British girl agrees that we wouldn't touch at least half of those foods with a barge pole... However I bet that, sadly, we have more foods that Americans would find horrifying!

But I think that just proves that people are different. Some people in other countries may like something, others may not. It's too much of a generalization to group everyone together.

And, on another note, I have never heard of canned cheese. Is that supposed to be an American thing? Kiss

eta: Never mind. I see that they're talking about spray cheese, which of course I'm familiar with. I don't like it and I also don't like red velvet cake and several other things on the list. I've also never had some of them. And I am 100% American. I think this list is pretty worthless and not based on anything of any value. JMO!

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought (from reading Agatha Christie which makes me an authority, LOL) that in Great Britain at least, they quite enjoy eggs and a rasher or two of bacon. Smiley Happy

What I took most from the article was that I found it to be so condescendingly written that I wanted to say "stay home and eat your own food then if you don't like it". Just kidding, I swear!

Of course, I realize, like the vast majority of online articles, this should be taken with a big grain of (unhealthy) salt, LOL.

My next thought was, I love grits, I adore grits and no one is taking my grits away. I don't care who doesn't like them.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

(edited)

Super Contributor

I don't know how this one didn't make the top ten: corn dogs. Now that's some nasty on a stick.

Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Clover29 said:
On 4/13/2014 stevieb said:

I'm not all that fond of some of them myself... But CHOCOLATE...? Really...?

Now, shall we talk about some of the things they eat that we don't like...?

Wink

It's not chocolate. It's HERSHEY'S. I explained that already.

I get that. I looked at the item, and while American candy bar chocolate isn't the best chocolate, I still can't see saying one 'can't stand' it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't know how this one didn't make the top ten: corn dogs. Now that's some nasty on a stick.

They're pretty bad...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 sunshine45 said:

on the list:

red velvet cake

grocery store bread

biscuits and gravy

peanut butter and jelly

grits

chocolate, american

bacon and eggs

spray cheese

casserole

cereal

Thank you for posting this list sunshine.........I could not open what OP put up but my computer is not doing good when I come to QVC. It is fine on FB but not here........anyway I don't care for American chocolate but I do like some casseroles and some cereal and I do like bacon and eggs but since I don't eat pork I don't have bacon but sometimes I cheat once and have a Bacon sandwich.........very rare though. Spray cheese never and grits they are ok.

I love food from different countries..........best. I am looking forward to visiting my son and grandbaby because he said there are real restaurants there of greek food, etc.

Super Contributor

I do like peanut butter with honey and jelly at times on fresh bread.

Trusted Contributor

Ummm...I guess this blogger doesn't know that grits came by way of African slaves, who ate the equivalent called eb in Africa. LOL

Honored Contributor

Kraft Easy Cheese, especially Sharp Cheddar, is great. It comes out of a nozzle and you put it on crackers. I am a cheeseoholic and I'm not pretentious, American processed cheese, aged Stilton, I love them all. I will admit that American Chocolate is not that great right now, but before the recession, Hershey made a large deluxe bar of chocolate that was as good as my European favorites. I love casseroles, biscuits and gravy and everything else on the list except red velvet cake. I also think our brand name white breads are nowhere near as good as European breads, but we have plenty of bakeries that bake scratch breads.

Respected Contributor

"American chocolate" is too much of a generalization. Ghiradelli is liked just fine abroad, but most foreigners can't stand Hershey's for what is perceived as its "essence of vomit" flavor.

That's exactly the reason I've never liked Hershey's chocolate! It has a soured milk barfy taste to me & I hated it even when I was a candy lovin' little kid! I often wondered if it was just me ,but I guess not. Maybe, my taste buds are wired differently? Some folks love the stuff, but not me.