Valued Contributor

Re: 10 all-american foods that foreigners cant stand

On 4/13/2014 NYC Susan said:

I don't put much value on this. My British relatives would definitely disagree with it, and so would friends of mine who live in Asia and elsewhere. I know many "foreigners" who don't fit into this at all.

It's just a generalization, nothing more. Kiss

I'm not sure! This British girl agrees that we wouldn't touch at least half of those foods with a barge pole... However I bet that, sadly, we have more foods that Americans would find horrifying!
Honored Contributor

That list was hard reading with all the ads, that's why I usually avoid "lists" on the internet, but anyway....American Cheese is pretty bad. The real good cheese is in Wisconsin. I can't stand Red velvet cake. My teeth ache just looking at it.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't able to see the list, but I can imagine. I think sometimes we are kind of an embarrassment in terms of SOME of the foods that are widely liked, not to mention portion sizes. I see a lot of people complain about portion sizes when they are normal. But people get used to these ginormous portions that are quite embarrassing.

Super Contributor

I don't think other countries have a problem with cereal per se, it's more the kinds that are perceived as "all-American", like anything with funky colors, or marshmallows. Special K is as popular abroad as it is here, but it's not "weird".

"American chocolate" is too much of a generalization. Ghiradelli is liked just fine abroad, but most foreigners can't stand Hershey's for what is perceived as its "essence of vomit" flavor.

Most European countries have casseroles, so I'm guessing that one is about Asians.

Peanut butter isn't nearly as popular as Nutella in Europe.

Biscuits and gravy, and grits, aren't even common all over the US. I have never seen grits on a menu, on the west coast.

Spray cheese? Ugh.

Honored Contributor

on the list:

red velvet cake

grocery store bread

biscuits and gravy

peanut butter and jelly

grits

chocolate, american

bacon and eggs

spray cheese

casserole

cereal

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

I forgot grocery store bread - American sliced bread is very sweet. It's horrible for savory sandwiches, to a European palate.

Honored Contributor

I'm not all that fond of some of them myself... But CHOCOLATE...? Really...?

Now, shall we talk about some of the things they eat that we don't like...?

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have to agree with the foreigners on most of them, except casseroles. People in other countries ear pretty nasty stuff too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 stevieb said:

I'm not all that fond of some of them myself... But CHOCOLATE...? Really...?

Now, shall we talk about some of the things they eat that we don't like...?

Wink

It's not chocolate. It's HERSHEY'S. I explained that already.

Respected Contributor

Who are the "foreigners" that were questioned?

Anyway, I don't think all of this is accurate.

My Italian great grandmother made a gravy for polenta that was flour based and it had sausage in it, similar to the gravy used in sausage and biscuits.

Also polenta is similar to grits, not the same, but similar. My Italian grandparents, who were big polenta eaters, liked grits.

I think that, as has already been posted, this is very general and like all lists like these, amusing, but to be taken with a dash of salt.

I do agree that European mass market chocolate is generally better. Suchard!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero