Contributor

Q selling JR items before checks arrive

It's been quite a while since I've written, but, am doing so that others don't have the same thing happen to me. I have ordered a number of JR pieces using checks. Never before had a problem getting my purchases. Unfortunately for me, QVC has been releasing them to other customers and then placing my orders on backorder status. I have never had that happen before in all the times I've ordered this way and since they've always given a certain amount of time for the check to arrive and post, I have never lost out on any of my items. These past couple of months such was not the case. Now, they want to keep the money and credit  the customer towards something else,  you don't get the item you originally wanted and since I didn't, I probably won't.  They decided to place item on "backorder" which is really waitlist, and not a call or email from them justifying this. Many items are never going to be reproduced by QVC. Over the past few years, I'm sure some have either been a victim of your credit or debit card security breaches, and if not you, then maybe someone you know. That has happened to me. It's a pain! So, I went back to using checks for some venders, QVC is one of them. It maybe old school, but, I never had another problem until the Q. Just be aware, paying by check may not always work out. Could be a Christmas thing, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Honored Contributor

Re: Q selling JR items before checks arrive

I'm sure many people never send in their checks,  so Q probably figures a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have an elderly aunt who has never used or owned a credit card. Once in a while she see's something when she's watching the Q that she wants and she pays by check and has never had a problem. Even with returns, no problem, they send her a check to cover the return.

Trusted Contributor

I have had that trouble. It depends on the item, and its popularity. If it is a fast seller, they ship the credit/debit card orders out no matter if there is a check hold order in front of it.

Back in the day, they were very good about giving you the 7 (or 10) days to get the check mailed to them. They really did hold aside your item, and ship it when check arrived.

I think those days are gone, unless you are ordering an item that is not on the air and they are not focusing on that it.

Now, in this new age of instant everything, I found they no longer hold an item aside to await a check. I just decided to go with the flow and stop using checks. I lost too many orders paying by check. I also lost trust that MY item would be waiting for my check to arrive.

I use my debit card, and it works just like a credit card, with the same protection of a credit card. Saves me a stamp and a check, the money is just taken out of my account, and I get my stuff.

I hardly ever write a check any more, any where! I write a check (say at Walmart or the grocery store), and they run it and hand it right back to me. They run checks just like a debit card, except they use your bank account number/routing number, and it runs right thorugh the bank just as fast as a credit/debit card. It is a waste of a check to just have them hand it back to me Smiley Sad

New world order of "instant everything" is here to stay I am sorry to admit. I do not like it.

Regular Contributor

I am really glad you posted about this issue. Several things come to my mind. I have often wondered whether each customer has a rating that is based on the ratio of "check hold" items that eventually go to a sale because the check arrives at QVC in the allotted time or the buyer changes "check hold" to "credit/debit card". Unfortunarely, there are QVC buyers out there who abuse the check hold a lot to "reserve" an item to decide whether they really want or can afford the item. Then they change their minds & either let the 14-day wait period elapse or they cancel the item. This means that when there is a LTS or LQ, QVC loses a sale. But if there are buyers who always use the check hold & always send in the money on time, they are losing out unfairly due to the number of buyers who abuse this privilege. That is why I have often wondered whether QVC rates each buyer's "performance" to determine whether to hold an item or sell it out from under them. You have to see this issue from both sides, & my conclusion is that there is no easy solution.

Honored Contributor

I think those that abuse the system have created this.  People talk on the boards about using check payment to hold an item until they are sure, then they switch payment to credit card.