Contributor

Made in China: death of quality

Recently I ordered J330431 (estate bracelet) in both silver and gold.  The design was magnificent.  However, as many of us have reported, the metal was so light that the clasps bent and would not hold.  I inspected the bracelets and found the marking "Made in China."

I note that the companion necklaces (which I did not order) also suffer from serious quality defects, again according to reviews.  Also made in China?

I hope that  QVC did not enter into a long-term contract with the manufacturer of these pieces, as it will mean the end to my ordering any more Ripka jewelry.   I am a dedicated Ripkanista, and have been collecting her pieces (including those sold in her lovely boutiques) for over a decade.  It is heartbreaking that designs of this extraordinary quality are being manufactured on the cheap.  I note that many of those reviewing  the estate  bracelet mentioned their willingness to pay more for something that would last.  Count me among them. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Made in China: death of quality

[ Edited ]

@debsgirl - I happened to notice a couple of weeks ago that something that was shown on TV had "China" engraved on the inside.  Judith Ripka used to have her jewelry (for QVC) made in Thailand and they were noted for producing beautiful quality silver pieces.

The minute I saw that "China" stamp I knew I'd never buy another piece.

China is great for pearls and cloisonne pieces.  I don't need them making my silver jewelry as well.  Italy?  Yes.  Thailand?  Yes.  China?  No, an emphatic no.

The last couple of pieces I had from JR were nowhere near the quality of the older items I have.  No more for me.

Honored Contributor

No doubt the Chinese manufacturer is making the Ripka jewelry according to the specification it was given,  then it was accepted by Q quality control. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I agree quality is way down for Judith ripka pieces. I stopped buying after I got tired of returning defective or poor quality pieces and the prices are insanely high for what you get. DH bought me a JR piece for our anniversary and it fell off my wrist at the restaurant and the waiter happened to see it laying by my foot. It would have been gone forever if he didn't notice it. The clasp bent like aluminum and this was a piece he bought a few months ago. I told him no more Judith buy me Bixby instead. I never had a problem with Barbara's pieces. 

Regular Contributor

I've heard that Bixby pieces are made in China. Can't verify this, as I only collect Ripka, but that's what some other Ripkanistas have said.

Respected Contributor

These posts reminded me of magnet problems I had had with JR pieces.  Sometimes the magnets get weak and give way.

Two nights ago it was lightly raining and very dark at 6 PM.  As I got out of my car and walked to the next row of pRked cars, I saw something very small and very shiny on the asphalt.  The lights from Chico's helped me see it.  Someone had lost a tiny hugger earring with " diamonds " on the front curve.

My jeweler was right next door to Chico's and he said it was very good costume jewelry because of the magnet.

Went into Chico's and sure enough someone had called 2 days earlier about a lost earring.   Be very wary of magnets.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

The last few pieces of Bixby I purchased had a China stamo on them--her line is no longer immune from quality issues, either.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it is not just jewelry that is of poor quality & made in China. In the past few years, the bad items we have been importing from China include poisonous pet food that has killed many pets here, those keyboards on appliances (dishwashers, vacuums, washing machines, etc.) that blink lights randomly & refuse to work, alarm clocks where the buttons used to regulate settings just fall out, faulty switches, bad light bulbs, electrical breakers that don't function right out of the new package, faulty zippers or zippers that are just plain difficult to zip (Qucker Factory), & so many other things. I think it's a real shame that QVC is adding Judith's jewelry to that list. Just recently I returned an expensive multi-gemstone line bracelet made in China because the underarm clasp did not click shut & the tongue-in-groove box clasp would open with a gentle tug. I asked for a replacement & the replacement I got came with the same problem. In the long run, QVC's attempt to save money will cost them money because of all the returns & the negative feelings that will translate into not wanting to buy at all. CHEAP IS DEAR!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm just glad that I bought my Ripka items in the early days of her QVC appearances. I have no interest in the current offerings, and the prices seem awfully high.

Super Contributor

Bixby has had some of her pieces manufactured in China for years now, but some are still made in Thailand. Those of us who collect Bixby had some concerns with the shift, but overall, there haven't been problems. There were some hiccups in the early days. The problems with Bixby more recently seem to be that some pieces don't have great quality stones. I think that is partly due to the increase in volume of production. But overall, the Bixby collectors have been happy with her pieces, including the China pieces.