Valued Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2016 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

Hi Girls, I agree it is very troubling when the young dentist is buying a practice and all new equipment at your pain and expense. Been there!

But to a more fun topic. I have both TSVs in my cart. I can't ever choose between the two. For those who have it, do you wear it often and with different types of clothing? It seems kinda dressy to me. But of course it is beautiful. 

I also got the Verona Rolo bracelet with heart closure. Both colors...again I can't choose. I think I will wear both a lot. Thats it for me. I'm more than done.

Really nice you all are posting. I love hearing from you and shopping with you.

Gayle

Valued Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2016 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

@littleone2 wrote:

Hi LuckyPeach and Ripkanistas,

It is so sweet to have Judith back on again.  LuckyPeach, I was so glad to see your thread again and to read the posts.  I am sorry you had to go through so much in dentist searching. It is great that you got additional opinions on your dental work and found a dentist you are comfortable with.   I can't imagine how awful it must have felt visiting the dentist making all those excessive and exaggerated recommendations.  A major dental bridge (five front teeth) that I had for 38 years (auto accident) broke last year, and I needed someone really good to do the replacement.  My dentist had left practice, and the one I wanted to see couldn't even see me for 7 weeks (for the first appointment).  Luckily, we had a cold weather snap (-30), and patients cancelled, and I was able to get in a week later for molds.  He did a fabulous job, and told me he even called the bridge maker from Hawaii to make sure they had received the mold of my teeth so when he came back from vacation it would be ready to put it.  I was so grateful that I found somene new and good to take care of my teeth.  Thank you, too, for the coconut oil suggestion, I am going to try that.  Because I had braces and an automobile accident years ago, I always try to keep my gums as healthy as possible.

I agree on the auto repair too.  Unfortunately, I was not so careful when I brought my dad's truck in (an older 1999 truck) to the dealership for some minor complaints (I am his power of attorney).  The repair ended up being $2,507.50!  Yikes.....  I am not going into the particulars, but I will be more careful next time.....lesson learned.  On a happier note, I think of my beloved (and in heaven) mother every time I see that little truck, and it is running like a charm right now.  (Bless you mom)

I have the TSV (gorgeous) but am a bit taken aback because I purchased from the Insider catalog advertising a $279 insider TSV price, and now it is $249. Maybe I shouldn't care because it aired around $339 in February, and I've picked up a few odds and ends of Ripka lately for nice prices.  I did call Customer Service a couple of times and they told me I could send it back (because it was purchased during July it qualified for the extended Christmas in July returns) but they would not credit me the $30 difference.  Oh well......

I ordered the 10 carat diamonique ss ripka necklace today that was the lunchtime special, but then cancelled because 18" necklaces hang at an odd spot on my neckline usually (I much prefer a 16" unless there is some flexibility where you hook it). 

I'm still debating the cord one day only special ..... decisions, decisions.....

Happy fall everyone!

Littleone, so nice to see you!  Doesn't the dental and auto repair stuff really hit a nerve?  That auto accident you went through and the subsequent dental work must've been very stressful and painful.  Sorry,  The fact that the bridge lasted 38 years is saying something.  It seems like the quality now (like so many things) is less which is so hard on health.  I had molar fillings last 30 years.  Actually, they were fine, except that they were the "silver" amalgam fillings (which are 50-54% mercury--very dangerous to have so close to the brain!  There are no safe minimums.)  I got them all replaced, one side by a bad dentist who didn't use the protective rubber dam while removing the mercury (afterwards I fainted a few blocks away from the mercury exposure and pulled over in a Target parking lot) and the other by my last good dentist. which gave me no problem.  Dentists learn about the rubber dam method in dental school so no need to find a very scarce biological dentist.  Just insist on it.  I had DH's all replaced, too. Your new dentist sounds great!  That last bad guy I fired made me wait six weeks for the first "meet and greet" which was silly.  He was all about marketing and bragging about himself like a certain candidate.  I stood up to him and he started nervously cracking his knuckles.  When he called and could give me no good reason why I should shave my teeth down for caps, I told him to send me proof and hung up.  This new dentist whom I saw twice in the past week is the local ADA guy but is very open. I am hopeful.  I oil pull while watering the gardens (I use shower water for no waste) and spit it on the ground when I tire of doing it: 5-20 minutes.  Highly rec. !  Please let me know after you try it for a few weeks what you think.  It is strange at first but worth it IMHO. 

The auto thing:  I still haven't found a replacement repair shop.  I know I got ripped off a few weeks ago by the new manager.  The throttle needed cleaning after which I discovered the cleaner was $6 on Amazon so they charged me $200 for 15 minutes of work.  I looked up the manager later on Yelp at his former place and discovered some awful stories--cheating women and seniors. I'm glad your Dad's truck is running OK and you lovingly recall your Mom.

Yes, about the Insider vs. TSV price!  Generally the Q follows a 30-day window from receipt of the item.  Customer Service can vary so on occasion I have to say thanks, hang up and get a new, more friendly person.  They should have credited you IMHO.

I got the LTS necklace, though I am sure you are right about the 16" on me as well.  I am so weak when it comes to JR!  Thanks for sharing all of your tales.  I find them very interesting.  Take care and best wishes~Peach

Valued Contributor

@gtx wrote:

Hi Girls, I agree it is very troubling when the young dentist is buying a practice and all new equipment at your pain and expense. Been there!

But to a more fun topic. I have both TSVs in my cart. I can't ever choose between the two. For those who have it, do you wear it often and with different types of clothing? It seems kinda dressy to me. But of course it is beautiful. 

I also got the Verona Rolo bracelet with heart closure. Both colors...again I can't choose. I think I will wear both a lot. Thats it for me. I'm more than done.

Really nice you all are posting. I love hearing from you and shopping with you.

Gayle

GTX, how are you doing?  I think things have changed to a more shallow MO, where the health of the patient is secondary to profit.  It has been moving in this direction since the 80s, I think.  Hope you found an old school dentist who cares.  My new one is in his 60s and very sharp with fair prices. 

Did you decide on one or both TSVs?  I have the sterling but do like them both, just exercising some restraint.  The tassel feels luxurious.

The Verona heart rolo looks to have a nice weight.  Congrats!

Please take care Gayle and thanks for posting!  ~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post count: 11,585.

Save the Vaquita (vivaVaquita dot org).

Respected Contributor

I received the tassel necklace in sterling!  It is a beautiful substantive necklace.  I am glad I took a flyer and purchased this lovely Ripka creation.

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Culebra, the TSV sounds like a winner!  The sterling version is on my wishlist.

I stopped myself from buying it this time because I had to have the Madison watch. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1

At the price point the Madison watch you purchased, I would say you got a deal.  If you decide to purchase the Verona Tassel necklace in Sterling, you will not be sorry.  It is a substantive beauty.  It is so nice to enjoy our purchases.