Valued Contributor

Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2016 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

A late start due to appointments (dental) today, sorry.  We survived 100 degrees plus yesterday in SoCal and near 90 degrees today in the San Gabriel Valley.  Since my original dentist here (took me several years to find a good one) sold his practice last fall to a shyster, I am now on my second replacement dentist, fingers crossed.  The timing was terrible because I just finished braces which are hard on teeth. The first replacement had great reviews but turned out to be another one who pushes unnecessary work at major cost.  All he talked about was how he needed to pay off his student loans and all the work I needed done.(onlay falling off, five post-braces cavities, all my uppers would require crowns which would destroy my teeth).  That was the last straw because I just needed a couple front veneers.  So, I found a dentist past the student loan stage with a more open approach.  And guess what?  My onlay is fine, the five post-braces cavities are only two minor ones and no need for any crowns.  He said my teeth were strong (thanks Q beauty board for turning me on to strontium bone/teeth supplements five years ago!Heart).  Hmmm.

All I can say is always get a second opinion.  This goes for auto repair, too.  Had to fire my regular shop a few weeks ago after the new manager tried to pull the same stuff on our old car which we will be driving "until the wheels fall off." 

Anyway, here's a rehash of the fabulous JR's schedule this visit:  Monday Midnight-1AM Eastern Standard Time (Sunday 9-10PM, Pacific Standard Time); 3-5AM EST (Midnight-2AM PST); 10AM-Noon EST (7-9AM PST); 3-5PM EST (Noon-2PM PST).

Hope everyone is OK.  Please share what's up with you and what JR you are interested in and/or taking home.  Thanks~Peach

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2016 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

I'm always surprised when people don't get a 2nd opinion for expensive or invasive dental work.  So many people don't,  I was almost taken advantage of by a dental surgeon a few years ago.  It was actually kinda funny.  He told me I needed gingivectomies on 3 quadrants and a crown for bottom front tooth.  I saw my bother over the weekend and asked if he knew of a dentist I could go to for a 2nd opinion.  He said he was looking for one too because his dentist had just told him he needed.....gingivectomies on 3 quadrants and a crown.  Turns out, unbeknownst to us, we had the same dentist.  Well we both went to another guy for 2nd opinion and we ended up staying with the new dentist.  I didn't need a gingivectomy at all and the supposedly week tooth that needed a crown, was just fine.   My brother needed the ginbivectomy on just one quad and his tooth was actually too weak for a crown. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka September 2016 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

Does anyone have the one day only ring? Any opinions about it? I was thinking of ordering the citrine but some reviews say it looks "cheap". It looks beautiful on the video

Esteemed Contributor

Taking a sneak peek while working from home.  Just bought the heart panther bracelet during her last visit so I'm trying to behave.

The one day only ring in the different colors is beautiful -- I don't find it to be cheap at all.  It's a great price and worth a look if you're on the fence!

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm always surprised when people don't get a 2nd opinion for expensive or invasive dental work.  So many people don't,  I was almost taken advantage of by a dental surgeon a few years ago.  It was actually kinda funny.  He told me I needed gingivectomies on 3 quadrants and a crown for bottom front tooth.  I saw my bother over the weekend and asked if he knew of a dentist I could go to for a 2nd opinion.  He said he was looking for one too because his dentist had just told him he needed.....gingivectomies on 3 quadrants and a crown.  Turns out, unbeknownst to us, we had the same dentist.  Well we both went to another guy for 2nd opinion and we ended up staying with the new dentist.  I didn't need a gingivectomy at all and the supposedly week tooth that needed a crown, was just fine.   My brother needed the ginbivectomy on just one quad and his tooth was actually too weak for a crown. 

Chrystaltree, hello and thanks for posting.  The dental stuff can make one crazy, no?  That IS a kinda funny story.  I think the fear aspect in dentistry is a big money-maker.  Just wanted to suggest oil-pulling to help heathy gums.  It is easy, just swish some coconut oil (mild taste, anti-bac. and healthy) between five and 20 minutes and spit it out (never swallow).  Never spit into a sink/toilet (not for plumbing!). Whitens teeth, too.  I do it about five times weekly and highly recommend it..  Google for more info.

Do you wear any Judith Ripka?  I already own the TSV in silver and the quality is excellent.  The tassel has a silky feel and I end up playing with it when I wear the necklace.  Thanks for sharing and take care~Peach

Valued Contributor

@gramygram wrote:

Does anyone have the one day only ring? Any opinions about it? I was thinking of ordering the citrine but some reviews say it looks "cheap". It looks beautiful on the video

Grammygram, I was wondering the same thing. 

I can highly recommend the TSV tassel necklace, though.  It is very well made and very tactile to wear.   I also got a second of the former TSV corded necklace--first time in black (Spinel), this time in purple (Amethyst).  Quality is OK on that one.  I would prefer leather/faux leather though, especially with how the fabric cord would wear down the road.  Take care~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post count: 11,581.

Save the Vaquita!  (VivaVaquita dot org)

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Taking a sneak peek while working from home.  Just bought the heart panther bracelet during her last visit so I'm trying to behave.

The one day only ring in the different colors is beautiful -- I don't find it to be cheap at all.  It's a great price and worth a look if you're on the fence!

Sammycat, how are you?  Please tell me what you think of the heart panther bracelet.  Weight?  Quality?  It seems like it could be a JR classic piece.

I will take a second look at the ring, but have to admit I've been very, very bad with the JR LTS lately, including today.  Thanks.  Take care~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA; Join Date: May 8, 2008; Post count: 11,582.

Esteemed Contributor

@LuckyPeach wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Sammycat, how are you?  Please tell me what you think of the heart panther bracelet.  Weight?  Quality?  It seems like it could be a JR classic piece.

I will take a second look at the ring, but have to admit I've been very, very bad with the JR LTS lately, including today.  Thanks.  Take care~Peach

Hi Peachie, I'm doing pretty well.  Coming up on my 1-year anniversary of my total knee replacement...it's hard to believe.  DH needs to get mutiple injections into his cervical spine (arthritis and stenosis), which he's not looking forward to at all!

The heart panther bracelet IS a new classic.  I like that it's smaller but still has reasonable heft and presence on the wrist.  I'm wearing it a lot -- a good sign.  The only other thing I've caved on this visit is the Madison watch -- love that oval face and classic roman numerals.  Otherwise, I resisted temptation.  I hope you and your family are well!

Frequent Contributor

Hi LuckyPeach and Ripkanistas,

It is so sweet to have Judith back on again.  LuckyPeach, I was so glad to see your thread again and to read the posts.  I am sorry you had to go through so much in dentist searching. It is great that you got additional opinions on your dental work and found a dentist you are comfortable with.   I can't imagine how awful it must have felt visiting the dentist making all those excessive and exaggerated recommendations.  A major dental bridge (five front teeth) that I had for 38 years (auto accident) broke last year, and I needed someone really good to do the replacement.  My dentist had left practice, and the one I wanted to see couldn't even see me for 7 weeks (for the first appointment).  Luckily, we had a cold weather snap (-30), and patients cancelled, and I was able to get in a week later for molds.  He did a fabulous job, and told me he even called the bridge maker from Hawaii to make sure they had received the mold of my teeth so when he came back from vacation it would be ready to put it.  I was so grateful that I found somene new and good to take care of my teeth.  Thank you, too, for the coconut oil suggestion, I am going to try that.  Because I had braces and an automobile accident years ago, I always try to keep my gums as healthy as possible.

I agree on the auto repair too.  Unfortunately, I was not so careful when I brought my dad's truck in (an older 1999 truck) to the dealership for some minor complaints (I am his power of attorney).  The repair ended up being $2,507.50!  Yikes.....  I am not going into the particulars, but I will be more careful next time.....lesson learned.  On a happier note, I think of my beloved (and in heaven) mother every time I see that little truck, and it is running like a charm right now.  (Bless you mom)

I have the TSV (gorgeous) but am a bit taken aback because I purchased from the Insider catalog advertising a $279 insider TSV price, and now it is $249. Maybe I shouldn't care because it aired around $339 in February, and I've picked up a few odds and ends of Ripka lately for nice prices.  I did call Customer Service a couple of times and they told me I could send it back (because it was purchased during July it qualified for the extended Christmas in July returns) but they would not credit me the $30 difference.  Oh well......

I ordered the 10 carat diamonique ss ripka necklace today that was the lunchtime special, but then cancelled because 18" necklaces hang at an odd spot on my neckline usually (I much prefer a 16" unless there is some flexibility where you hook it). 

I'm still debating the cord one day only special ..... decisions, decisions.....

Happy fall everyone!

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@LuckyPeach wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Hi Peachie, I'm doing pretty well.  Coming up on my 1-year anniversary of my total knee replacement...it's hard to believe.  DH needs to get mutiple injections into his cervical spine (arthritis and stenosis), which he's not looking forward to at all!

The heart panther bracelet IS a new classic.  I like that it's smaller but still has reasonable heft and presence on the wrist.  I'm wearing it a lot -- a good sign.  The only other thing I've caved on this visit is the Madison watch -- love that oval face and classic roman numerals.  Otherwise, I resisted temptation.  I hope you and your family are well!

Sammiecat, I thought the heart panther was a good candidate for classic status and you've confirmed it.   Thanks!   I'm sure I'll get it at some point. 

Health really IS number one, isn't it?  Hope your knee is feeling OK--what an anniversary!  I'm coming close to having the dental stuff caught up after four years (and years before that getting my nerve up to do it) of bone donor, implant healing, braces, dental professional errors.  This afternoon I received a call that the best dental lab tech had a family emergency so now the veneers are put off again.  Hope the tech is OK, but I'm frustrated at not being able to smile normally...and I want this OVER!

Very sorry your DH has to go through those shots.  Sounds painful.  Please take care~Peach

Actual stats:  Chicagoan now in LA: Join Date:  May 8, 2008; Post Count: 11,583.