New Contributor

Help with stone replacement in Ripka Piece

I have the matching ring to http://www.qvc.com/Judith-Ripka-Sterling-Blue-Topaz-and-TurquoiseEarrings.product.J315218.html?sc=J3... It is a beautifiul ripka blue topaz ring that has small turquoise beads around the center stone. I have been careful not to get the ring wet as I know water can loosen the glue on the turquoise, however, I looked down the other day and, lo and behold, one of the turquoise beads is missing. I have NO idea where I lost it. The ring looks rather odd with one of the beads missing and so I want to get it repaired but have no idea how to go about this. I thought I would check here for thoughts. Do I take it to a local jeweler who can hopefully match the turquoise or do I reach out to Ripka (the corporation)? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with stone replacement in Ripka Piece

Search online or in your local phone book for a jewelry repair shop. Look for reviews, ask around to see if anyone has had work done there. See how long they have been in business. I used to work at Zales years ago. They used our local jewelry repair shop for most repairs. When Zales received the repairs back they added 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 times what they were charged for your final repair charge. You can get the work done for less money at a jewelry repair shop rather then a jewelry store. I bought a gold curb link bracelet with lapis cabochons on the clasp that I have had repaired twice. 2 different lapis stones fall off. Glad I could get them replaced. I paid $6 each for the replacement cabochons. I would have paid $21-$24 if I had taken it to Zales. Can't believe I bought this from Q in 2003 for about $160 with approx. 10 grams of gold.

Texturedcurbbraceletwithlapisaccentedclasp$168j1488

Trusted Contributor

I suggest you contact QVC customer service and ask them to repair the ring. 

As far as I know, the Ripka Corporation which is now part of Excel, does not repair Ripka pieces from QVC.

Good Luck.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

What a shame!  Beautiful earrings but I bet you have a hard time finding someone willing to try and do this repair.  Not only will they have to match the size and shape but also the color.  We know there are a million shades of turquoise.

If they were mine, I'd find some material from which I could make the bead then paint to match the color.  A big dot of Elmer's Glue comes to mind.  It will devalue the earring but at least you could wear them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I had a chipped princess cut amethyst in one of my Ripka cuffs.  I took it to my local jeweler,got an estimate,and had it replaced.  The color match was perfect.  It wasn't even that expensive to replace. Check your local jeweler.  You might be surprised.