Valued Contributor

Re: silcone filled jewelry is worthless, can not sell it can not resize a ring....

[ Edited ]
Chrystaltree, I am a jewler's granddaughter and a public schoolteacher. I resent the assumption that I am wealthy and have a disposable income. Far from it. Money most certainly IS a factor for me in my daily life. My salary was frozen for 5 years; I will never recover from it. Any jewelry purchase I make comes with a great deal of thought, my grandfather's influence. I have also had older pieces melted down and turned into something new, or sold lesser bits for scrap to pay for repairs of more valued, heirloom items. Don't assume. The major issue with filled jewelry is that it cannot be repaired. An unrepairarable piece is money down the toilet.
Respected Contributor

Re: silcone filled jewelry is worthless, can not sell it can not resize a ring....

I have a couple pair of Oro Nuovo earrings. I like that they are lightweight, but the gold does turn a funny brassy color over time. To me, this is costume jewelry and as long as it's the price of costume, I'm okay with it.

I much prefer the bronzo because it looks better and holds its color, plus the original bronzo was priced right. Once they started to charge sterling silver prices for it, I stopped buying. I did get a couple items yesterday that were priced well.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

It appears that you ladies are wealthy and can spend whatever you choose to spend on your jewelry. Money is not a factor for you and you expect to sell what you buy.  I don't have that type of life.  My jewelry, even gold, is not an investment.  I'm not in the jewery business.  I buy pieces to wear and enjoy and since I work for a living and like other things like vacations and clothes and nice restaurants; I won't pay today's gold prices.  So, silcone filled gold and gold over silver and Bronzo work for me.  I get my gold look without sinking a fortune in my jewelry box.  And I get to fill up my jewelry box. 

I really resent this comment.  That is so not true in my case.... and for countless others.   I am not a wealthy woman...and have to work for a living.   But if I want to purchase jewelry I want to buy something that is real gold and will stand the test of time .... so I save my money until I have enough to purchase what I want.  I do not have too many pieces of jewelry but what I have is good, solid, beautiful  14k and 18k gold pieces. And I certainly enjoy what I have.  I also like vacations and clothes and nice restaurants..... but I save my money in order to afford those things so I never carry a balance in my credit cards

Respected Contributor

I must say this.... if you are going to try to sell your gold silicone filled jewelry, tell the jeweler or gold melting place first. My friend bought a bunch of gold silicone filled jewelry from QVC last year and tried to sell it. She didn't tell them it was silicone filled and they melted down her jewelry and then saw what was in it and they didn't give her a dime for it! She was upset. They told her it was not worth anything of value. 

Honored Contributor

IMO - anyone who is buying jewelry retail and then selling it later , hoping to make a profit on it is in a fools paradise. The retail markup on jewelry is tremendous plus then there is the sales tax on luxury items like jewelry. I highly recommend you reconsider this and only buy what you love and intend to keep forever. For trendier jewelry - buy fashion jewelry.

Valued Contributor

Cosmic1, do you find the yellow bronze chains hold up well? I have a beautiful, heavy pendant that needs a chain but is far too heavy to be worn on a gold chain. I'm debating a 20" or 24" bronze chain if I find a link I like (wheat or fine rope).
Trusted Contributor

Rac71, I might suggest stainless steel with 14K gold over might be a way to wear your heavier necklace too.  If you clean it with a cloth and take it off every night, it keeps its gold color and its relatively inexpensive too.  Last year I bought a rose gold stainless rope chain for $9 at the Liquidation Channel on one of their sales and its held up and maintained its rose color.

Valued Contributor

When my jewelry gets sold, it will mean I am dead, and I won't care what it is "worth."  While I am here, my jewelry is for me to wear.

I am a silver person, so I usually buy sterling.  I do like to switch it up and wear yellow and rose occasionally, but I don't want to invest big $ in pieces I wear less often, so I appreciate being able to get a few pieces in Bronzo for color variation.   I can't see spending big $ on either trendy pieces or pieces that are saved for dressy occations and are rarely worn.  Classic "workhorse" pieces merit spending a little more on, so that the quality holds up.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

I don't buy jewelry with the intention of reselling it.  I buy jewelry because I like it and I'll wear it.  I've never purchased Oro Nuovo because I've really never seen a piece that moved me.  

Last year I did buy 2 bronzo rings. They are identical and are thinner, wedding band type rings.  I bought one in white and one in gold.  IMO the gold is way too brassy looking.  It doesn't look at all like real gold.  Not 14k or 18k.  The white looks more like platinum or stainless than it looks like white gold. 

There are some people who prefer to invest in a few really good pieces of jewelry and there are some people who prefer to buy a lot of various types of jewelry, much of it costume.  I fall into that category.  I'm not a huge yellow gold lover so when I do buy something in gold, I won't spend a lot of money on it.

I also much prefer very bold jewelry which means I go more for costume or overlay pieces because it's what I can afford.  I have some better costume pieces and I have some cheap costume pieces.  I've not had any issue with any of my costume pieces turning black, stones falling out, marks being left around my neck, etc.  And when I say I have cheap costume jewelry, I'm talking some of it is from DOTS, some from Forever 21, some from H & M.  It does't get much cheaper.  LOL         

Super Contributor

I agree. I get bored with pieces and am appalled that the QVC gold pieces cannot be resold, rendering them worthless. Shame.