Respected Contributor

I just read on financial page that gold prices are going down.  Maybe more gold jewelry will be shown.

Respected Contributor

Re: gold prices are sliding

[ Edited ]

kitco1.gifDoubt it.  The prices were for paper gold not physical.

Trusted Contributor

According to an article in the Wasington Post a couple of weeks ago, QVC will be moving away from jewelry because it's not as profitable as other items. IF you didn't see the artlcle, it's pretty interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/qvc-the-unlikely-juggernaut-of-mobile-shopping/2015/...

Respected Contributor

Great post Pas, We all here on the jewelry forum have witnessed the slow withdrawl of Quality fine jewelry QVC used to be known for.  Now we know , sort of, why.

Honored Contributor

Q v c stepped away from gold jewelry a long, long time ago.  I think the main reason is that gold became too expensive the second reason is that the core customer, we ladies 50-70 plus, already have all the gold jewelry we want or need.  We won't buy gold at this stage of our lives.  So, there's no profit in real gold jewelry.  Plus there are two shopping channels that sell jewelry exclusively.  They siphoned off a lot of the jewelry dollars.  

Honored Contributor

True, I'm in that age bracket and I've acquired all I need for no more places that I go to wear it. I got couple of really swell pieces to wear to a upscale place and rest is nice bangles that was bought for ease of taking on and off in gold.

Could use a bigger pair of diamond earrings though. LOL

wouldn't mind that status link bracelet either. 

No hope for me.

Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

Re: gold prices are sliding

[ Edited ]

Sharke: Have u checked out Costco.com - or gone into their stores. They have a beautiful selection of 14KT gold jewelry --- bracelets, earrings, rings, etc. A few months ago, I purchased a pair of 14KT gold medium-size, oval hoop earrings for $120. The hoop is flat - and is wide on the bottom and narrows as it goes up.

Trusted Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I just read on financial page that gold prices are going down.  Maybe more gold jewelry will be shown.

Thanks for the encouraging news.  I have not purchased real jewelry for years becaue I can't stand to invest in lesser metals, thinner pieces, imitation.  I am still wondering how on earth a reputable jeweler can market resin covered in a gold amalgam !  And bronze?