Respected Contributor

Re: YOUR WATCH PURCHASE MISTAKES?

Everyone has a different budget and different needs and different taste in watches.  And it changes over time.  My biggest watch 'mistakes' are buying too many similar watches,  generally in different colors, because at the time I loved them so much.  I still love the watches,   but realize I don't need every color in every style.

Another important thing I've learned over time is to find out about the specifications of a watch before buying so that I can make an informed decision about the quality and value.  As you collect more you begin to realize the implications of things,  things that most people don't even ask about.  And beyond that,  what no one can explain.... like why a better movement is worth paying for even if the less quality movement on another watch is covered by a replacement warranty!   It's not just about the cost, and the inconvenience of sending a watch in for repair.... a better quality movement will last longer and probably not need repair... ever or as often.

I've also learned to take the warranty information with a grain of salt..... generally only the movement of a watch is covered.  But beyond that there are shipping and insurance costs you pay... both ways.  You need to save your paperwork.  And not every watch company is in business in the future when you need the warranty.

What I've also learned...  pulling the stem to save battery life is not a good idea.  In modern watches it saves very little batter life and can expose the movement to dust and moisture.  Replacing a movement is a lot more expensive than having a battery changed.