Esteemed Contributor

Re: YOUR WATCH PURCHASE MISTAKES?

I have many watches, $$$$ and $ and I wear them all, some more than others. I think at this point my collection of about a dozen- plus watches is complete. With so many watches come a lot of batteries. I pay less than half of what a jeweler charges by driving a few extra miles to a pawn shop to have my watch batteries replaced.

No purchase mistakes here.

Respected Contributor

Someone should start a similar thread for handbags! LOL.

Respected Contributor

I used to buy a lot of watches (smaller ones, I have 5" wrists), but every time I turned around I was taking 4 or 5 of them to the jeweler for new batteries.  I got tired of that, so now I have one really nice (petite) solar watch.  When I'm not wearing it I just keep it under the lamp where I sit in the LR, and it keeps perfect time with no battery changing!  I also have a couple cheap watches to wear when I go jogging, but I just replace them when the batteries go bad.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Mickey Mouse watch I wore to death, but it wasn't real gold so eventually it got scuffed on the corners. I haven't bought any since that wasn't steel or silver.

I also had a watch with white stitching that looked dirty easily. It was hard to keep clean until I took my ceramic stains and colored the stitching to match the band.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I started buying Eclisssi sterling watches 2nd hand off the Bay. I have 8-10, all in very good condition for usually 70+% off.  They all work great and usually even come with fresh batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy expensive watches. Having said that some of my fashion watch mistakes are small faced watches that I can't read easily without pulling out my reading glasses. Who needs that? I have some pretty but unusable watches from Joan Rivers, Nolan Miller, and Ivana. They were all bought before I needed readers.

Trusted Contributor

I love watches - wear one every day.  I only have one or two that I regret buying and I have about 20 watches. Both are Invictas. One is a Reserve in a 38mm and the other I also think is a Reserve or Grand Diver with an abalone dial.  They are both heavy and large. That is not my style - they looked so good on the presentation.  My mistake was not sending them back right away.  I like my watches to be between 26mm and 34 or 36mm.  I also like them slim - I don't like when they sit so high. So those sit in those stupid dive boxes untouched.  I did purchase a Technomarine which was I think 36mm - it was pretty, but thankfully I sent it back within the holiday return period because I just knew I wasn't going to wear it. I prefer a Movado or my Ferragamo (which I love). I also really like my small pro diver in the two tone. I like classic and classy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A stainless Invicta.  It was inexpensive, around 55.00.  Two jewelers couldn't get it to run, they gently hinted this was a cheap piece of junk and I ended up throwing it out. Totally soured me on the line.  I have three Ecclissis and one Isaac Mizrahi and all have been fine for years now. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I seem to be developing a fondness for watches, although I doubt I'll become a "serious collector".      

Nevertheless, the process of considering a watch purchase always has me wondering if I'm missing some point that might turn out to be a mistake.

So .............   Would you kindly share what purchases turned out to be mistakes .... for any reason?   

One of my mistakes was not knowing that silicone straps are hot,  and I get clammy skin under the strap ... and it's annoying.   I will not buy another silicone watch.    Don't like the "feel".   

Another was a Rolex two tone years ago ..... and didn't realize that having both a gold face with gold hour and minute hands were going to make it  very difficult to read the time.  I also didn't realize that I should have kept the box, as it gets you a better resale price.   Won't do that again!

So .......  please share.   TIA!!!

I could have written your post in regards to the Rolex. I couldn't see it. Luckily, my daughter could and she wears it on occasion.

I love watches. I have a nice collection of Concord, Ebel and Movado's. They are all more than 10 years old and still look brand new. 

Honored Contributor

I ordered a J Ripka black watch and it wasn't as substantial as my twi sterling watches.  I kept it because I like the look.  Having it was better than not having it this time.