Respected Contributor

Re: Would SOMEONE please tell Ms. Killinger. . .

@Lipstickdiva, I hear you on that.  Many vendors did that also, HSN had an entire line with Pope items offered.  That's kind of typical for all things.  Any way someone can profit, they'll take advantage.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I am sorry,but I don't see it being such a big deal....

I actually see any spread of misinformation as a big deal. Anyone hearing her say that may believe it to be true. Ignorance spreads like a virus.

Accuracy matters.

Honored Contributor

High IQ is not one of the requirements for being a host. And I am shocked by her statement.

Esteemed Contributor

When I listen to Shawn, I am reminded of that old proverb that goes something like this, "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Hosting is a tough job, one that I could not do, nor would I want to.  But Shawn, being a previous newscaster (whom one would assume has a good command of the English language and world knowledge), has said so many things that have me shaking my head.  It is almost to the point now that I watch her to listen for the next unbelieveable thing she is going to say.  And yes, I said "almost", as when she is on, I watch something else.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

If Shawn said that, she should be corrected.  The Pope is the leader of the Roman Catholic Church only.  Other Christian denominations have other leaders.  Regardless, individuals the world over, Christian or not, Roman Catholic or not, respect the Pope for his leadership on social issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ncascade wrote:

High IQ is not one of the requirements for being a host. And I am shocked by her statement.

I'm not shocked any anything Shawn says anymore- partly because I accept that she does not think before she speaks, which means that anything can come out, and partly because I avoid watching her. She can't bother me when I don't watch her.

Respected Contributor

When all is said and done, Shawn would not be employed by QVC if she was being inappropriate, and second I bet the Pope himself could care less and if he's as loving and kind as everyone states, he would be most forgiving.  At the end of the day, it's love and kindness that matter ... right?

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Trusted Contributor

I was channel surfing and heard that one sentence before I moved on to something else. As someone who isn't Catholic, never will be Catholic and has some very serious issues with this particular pope, I was a bit shocked by her ignorance on the issue.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

I must say that if Shawn said that the Pope is the head of all the Christian religions she has made a serious and very ignorant mistake.  I know Shawn has stated that she is a Christian.  I do not think I ever heard her specify which religion she follows but I do not think she has stated she is Catholic.  If she follows another Christian theology then she should certainly be aware that the Pope is not the head of her church.  I think the heads of the Baptist, Methodists, Mormans etc would be shocked to find that the Pope is the head of their religions.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karnerblue wrote:

When all is said and done, Shawn would not be employed by QVC if she was being inappropriate, and second I bet the Pope himself could care less and if he's as loving and kind as everyone states, he would be most forgiving.  At the end of the day, it's love and kindness that matter ... right?

She definitely made the statement attributed to her in the OP.

As for whether or not she is inappropriate, that is subjective.

We all have had difficult times throughout our lives.  Shawn never misses a chance to share one of hers to tug viewers' heartstrings.  A loved one's death should never be used to sell jewelry.