Respected Contributor

Re: Who told me about Moissanite and its patent?

@Kachina624  That's a really pretty ring- I love the setting of the stones! Thank you for sharing your photo! Smiley HappyHeart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

That is so beautiful!  Is it all one piece?  I think earrings will be my next purchase.  I had NO idea moissanite had a patent but I'm glad it did and has run out.  Are there different grades of the stone?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm  Gosh that is just stunning!   I have a very wide solid gold wedding band that I wear every day.  It was my grandmothers and it's quite heavy.  She gave it to me when it started to slide off her finger and told me to have it polished up and wear it as my wedding band.  My hubs doesn't believe in jewelry and never did.  So I don't have a diamond but I have never been much of a jewelry person anyway.  I have had the same gold hoops in my ears for years and one solid gold chain my sister-in-law purchased for me about 30 years ago in Hawaii at what was called a swap meet.  Jeweler said I couldn't touch that chain for what I pad for it ($200, 11gms of gold, 20 in) at todays prices.

I also have a beautiful pave Moissanite man's ring from my uncle.  It was his wedding band (circa 1944). I took it from my aunt because my sister's don't wear any jewelry.  It's natural occurring  Moissanite according to jeweler.  But I dont wear it.

I love white gold jewelry but it wasnt real popular back in the 70's and 80's.  I think I could wear your ring at times with my gold band.  My mom always mixed her metals. She liked jewelry 💍

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Kachina624 

That is so beautiful!  Is it all one piece?  I think earrings will be my next purchase.  I had NO idea moissanite had a patent but I'm glad it did and has run out.  Are there different grades of the stone?

@monicakm.  The original patent holder was Charles & Covard and they did have several grades with the best always set in 14k.  I haven't seen grades mentioned in the newer stuff.

Google the Moissanite story for interesting reading.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  That's interesting about the moissanite...my pave ring is in 14k and its quite sparkly!

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick. @monicakm. @SportyShorty07. @tansy  and anyone interested in Moissanite, should reference Wikipedia which has a thorough and concise history of the stone.

A point of interest...it is 9.25 on the Mohs hardness scale, right under a diamond.  It's  going to last a long time.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

@Kachina624  That's interesting about the moissanite...my pave ring is in 14k and its quite sparkly!

@bmorechick.  8f indeed your ring is natural Moissanite,  it could be quite valuable.  You should have it appraised.  Is it a style you could wear if sized?  Maybe have it made into a pendant.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick 

I love pave'

Honored Contributor

Your ring is lovely, Moissanite is amazing isn't it.  I have two and love wearing themSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@monicakm.  I bought two major pieces 10-12 years ago.  I bought this ring set in heavy white gold when the shopping channels Shop at Home went out of business.   It was the only one left and was in my size.  I grabbed it at about $600.

1000001111.jpg

Then I bought small hoop earrings, also set in white gold for about $400.  I bought a bunch of drops (charms) on eBay in different gemstones that I can wear on them.  With the sparkling white Moissanite,  they make pretty earrings.

Then I got Moissanite drop earrings for $49.  Set in silver, of course.

Set in 14K, it would be $1,049.00