Esteemed Contributor

What's the Best Way to Clean Silver Jewelry?

I don't often wear my silver jewelry, but since I bought a Judith Ripka heart necklace, I've taken out my sterling jewelry to wear.  A lot of the pieces are tarnished and look horrible. 

I had bought the Joy Mangano jewelry cleaner, but it does absolutely nothing for sterling. 

Can you recommend a good silver jewelry cleaner? Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: What's the Best Way to Clean Silver Jewelry?

I use a silver cleaning paste first, rinse well, dry and shine it up with a silver polishing cloth.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

Hi ~ I use the Sterling Silver Cloths made by CONNOISSEURS.  You can get them at W~Mart in the jewelry section for a few dollars.  For crevaces I use a stiff toothbrush, with the cloth "over" the toothbrush and gently rub.  The stiff bristles help to get the soft & thin cloth inbetween the hard to reach places.  HTH

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

I only use one product and that's Sparkle Sparkle from HSN. It's the best and it's only 20 dollars!
Honored Contributor

I only use a polishing cloth and the best I've found is a Sunshine Cloth which I get from an eBay seller but they're available other places. Store your jewelry in an anti-tarnish box. HSN's has the Prestige line which is very good. I have a ton of silver and rarely have to polish anything.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

...Rarely have to polish anything - Kachina, 'cause you live in the desert?
Honored Contributor

No, because I keep everything in anti-tarnish boxes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I never use anything but silver polishing cloths. I like Connoisseurs very much, and they're usable for a very long time even when they look very "dirty" from lots of polishing.
I have a LOT of silver, and some pretty high quality pieces, and some very good silver tarnishes and some very low quality silver just doesn't.
I'm talking about .925 or higher grade silver. I always feel bad when posters whine about expensive silver tarnishing and how there must be something wrong with it.
SILVER TARNISHES!
Esteemed Contributor

Hello - I use toothpaste for serious tarnish (like when I wear silver, and then sweat) and also a silver polishing cloth for routine maintenance.  I do keep my pieces in a Lori Grenier tarnish-resistant box.  That helps alot - I don't have to polish often.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

For tarnished silver: line a glass dish with foil. Add some Arm and Hammer washing soda. You can buy it at the Hardware store. Add hot tap water to dissolve and add silver. Rinse and dry with cloth. Some have said you can use baking soda, but I don't think it works as well as the washing soda. I also clean my gold this way. Makes the stones sparkle, too.