Respected Contributor
On 4/6/2014 jetts_mom said:
On 4/6/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/6/2014 jetts_mom said:

Just a tidbit, that purple pearl in the pic above was valued at $15,000 to $20,000, and someone did purchase it. Amazing!

Ezzy posts photos of the best ... usually out of the price range of us mere mortals. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I about fell out of my chair when that showed up in my newsfeed on Facebook (Pearls of Joy has a page out there that you can "like"). And to think the color is natural? Wouldn't it be nice to think that some day the process will become more predictable and more pearls like that will be available, and bring the price down where some of us mere mortals could think about it?

Ennui, I like to know about the best quality of anything I want to buy. What does the best look like and what does it cost? If you didn't know freshwater Edison's could be round and smooth so you only bought baroque, you miss out. Their cost has come down considerably in the past few years. They were hyper inflated shortly after their arrival on the pearl scene and many were advised not to buy into them until they came back down to earth. Now their price points have stabilized. I have a note into Kevin asking questions and will post them once he answers.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

Ennui, I like to know about the best quality of anything I want to buy. What does the best look like and what does it cost? If you didn't know freshwater Edison's could be round and smooth so you only bought baroque, you miss out. Their cost has come down considerably in the past few years.

Of course we all want the best, but the best isn't always in the budget. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Honestly, though, I'm not even envious of people who can afford $15,000 for one pearl.

Mostly, my comment was about all these new-technology pearls. Will farmers continue to produce them 10-20 years from now? We don't even know the durability of soufflé pearls, because they're new. And, judging from all the questions, consumers are confused about all these new technologies, too.

Btw, I think something happened to your photos. I'm not seeing them this morning.

Respected Contributor
Ennui, Kevin wrote me back. Ripple / kasumi like Chinese pearls are a by product of growing Edison pearls and are bead nucleated.
Super Contributor
On 4/7/2014 esmeraldagooch said: Ennui, Kevin wrote me back. Ripple / kasumi like Chinese pearls are a by product of growing Edison pearls and are bead nucleated.

By-product? Does that mean they are rejects, or are they like keshis, accidental? But if they are bead-nucleated, they aren't accidents ... were they trying to get Edisons and the mollusk gave them ripples instead? This is what I mean, I find the new technologies very confusing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

I hate fresh water pearls. I love salt water pearls (South seas) that are perfectly round. Figures I like the expensive ones. I have one South sea pearl and it's golden in color and very round.

Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/7/2014 esmeraldagooch said: Ennui, Kevin wrote me back. Ripple / kasumi like Chinese pearls are a by product of growing Edison pearls and are bead nucleated.

By-product? Does that mean they are rejects, or are they like keshis, accidental? But if they are bead-nucleated, they aren't accidents ... were they trying to get Edisons and the mollusk gave them ripples instead? This is what I mean, I find the new technologies very confusing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Fireballs are a byproduct of Edisons also. They are creating huge hybrid mollusks and using new techniques in the attempt to make huge perfect freshwater pearls. By products can be good or bad depending on your point of view. I bet Mikimoto went though growing pains like this when working with perfecting his cultured akoyas.

Super Contributor
On 4/8/2014 esmeraldagooch said:
On 4/7/2014 ennui1 said:

Fireballs are a byproduct of Edisons also. They are creating huge hybrid mollusks and using new techniques in the attempt to make huge perfect freshwater pearls.

Another one bites the dust. I liked fireballs. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor
On 4/8/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/8/2014 esmeraldagooch said:
On 4/7/2014 ennui1 said:

Fireballs are a byproduct of Edisons also. They are creating huge hybrid mollusks and using new techniques in the attempt to make huge perfect freshwater pearls.

Another one bites the dust. I liked fireballs. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Well, Yeah! That fireball pendant you and John created is a prime example. If they hadn't nucleated that mollusk hoping for a perfectly round pearl, that beauty wouldn't have been in your collection.

Super Contributor

So, now I've lost track of the conversation. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Have we decided where Ming pearls fall?

Btw, in the video for J285771, Ralph says they are bead-nucleated, out of China.

Super Contributor

Those "Edison" pearls in the picture above are beautiful. The TSV today, not so much.