Honored Contributor

What ever happened to Drusy and Black Spinel?

Seems like only yesterday that these were all the rage.  That fad certainly didn't seem to last very long.  I guess the current one is Sleeping Beauty Turqoise? Just "musing".

Honored Contributor

Re: What ever happened to Drusy and Black Spinel?

Came and went. 

Frequent Contributor

They seem to be hiding out with marcasite.  I am still waiting for that comeback.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about druzy but there was quite a bit of black spinel on Evine from the Tucson gem event and JTV still shows a lot of it as well.

I don't really see much jewelry anymore on either HSN or QVC.

Respected Contributor

I read somewhere that QVC was cutting back on jewelry shows, which we already know.  I don't like any of the jewelry they do show.  All this bronzo and 14K clad is junk to me.

I want solid 14K and sterling silver.  Remember when they used to do a whole day on just silver and one for gold?  I guess people just aren't buying or else they would sell it.   And, I really hate this big clunky stuff that everyone is selling now.  It is so tacky. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never did buy any Drusy -- it looked like glued on glitter to me.  However, I did get caught up in the sleeping beauty turquoise phase about 1 1/2 years ago.  I bought more than I should have.  But it is pretty -- I just need to remind myself to get it out and wear it more often.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

Q tried to make Drusy the "in gem" to sell. They had to to have a gimmick---enter Drusy. It always looked broken to me and like it had glitter sprinkled on it----very unreal.

The black spinel is different. I like black stones, and enjoyed adding spinel. It goes with onyx or agate. I did not buy my spinel pieces from the Q.

Then Q tried to peddle all sorts of stuff as "the trend." The Q ten or more yeas ago was the happening place. Now, it's just the same as all the others with the same tired sales pitches.

Sad to watch the downhill slide.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that Evine still shows a lot of Black Spinel and HSN may still have some Nicky Butler Drusy as he was showing it before it was the QVC trend.   Here's another one -- remember Colors of Gold??  QVC sure tried pushing that for awhile!!  I guess that has been replaced by all the Bronzo Italia.

Respected Contributor

Not that hot anymore!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I never did like Druzy, but I love black spinel, and I get mine from JTV.  I have a beautiful pave black spinel ring and pave pendant I got from there.  I purchased the earrings also, and although I loved them, I returned the earrings only because I have long dark hair and the black spinel just didn't show up even though they were a good size.  They would look gorgeous on someone with blonde hair!