Honored Contributor

Re: WHY YOUR CZs ARE REALLY GETTING CLOUDY...YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

@Mindy D

Thanks for the info, but I haven't gotten even one piece that is turning cloudy.   I use windex to clean occasionally and have never had a problem.

Like anything else, not all CZs are created equal.   If you have Diamonique pieces that are cloudy, why not take advantage of the Lifetime Guarantee and send them back for either replacement or exchange?   Why would you want to keep them if they are unwearable?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Found Affinity Ring...800.00 Didn't want to spend that much. Loved the design. Today found the same exact design by Diamonique. Clear Sapphire Rubie & Emerald sold out waitlist available. Price!! Fraction of Affinty and higher weight. Design is braided. Waitlisted.
Honored Contributor

The only CZs I own are DMQ and some of them are quite old.  Nothing has clouded.  However, last month I bought a JR feather ring and received it with practically opaque baguettes.  Back that thing went.

The things I have are worn often and I've never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

Do you have any diamonds you can compare these to?  Is it possible you are developing cataracts?  No, I'm not trying to be cute.  My first sign of cataracts was color change in items of the ivory family, glass and pottery. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have Dmq and Absolute jewelry that I have owned for 25 years and I haven't seen any clouding at all.  One ring, I wear about once a week and I do not baby it.  It's a Dmq ring in 14k.  But the same for the cz pieces in sterling.  I have no complaints.  I just bought an adjustable Dmq braclet a couple of months ago and I expect to enjoy it for years to come.  But I only own QVC, HSN and JTV cz.  CZ does come in grades and the low quality cz probably does get cloudy.

Honored Contributor

I do agree that CZs come in different quality levels. CZ, however, from any source and in any quality, is inherently porous. I have plenty of stones that are still clear and sparkling, but I also have some that are clouding. I'm happy for those of you that have no clouding issues yet, but I am not happy to learn that this clouding problem can be a characteristic of CZ that I was not previously aware of.  Sources:  Simulants vs Synthetics: a concise  guide to manmade gemstones   

found in Diamond Review a diamondreview.com. Discusses production techniques as well as characteristics of all simulants and synthetics.

Understanding Gem Synthetics  Treatments and Immitations   Dr. Joel Arum

Honored Contributor

Been reading posts about Diamonique looking cloudy. I'm assuming you've all tried a soaking in vinegar and water & then using a soft toothbrush? Many times the cloudiness you see is a film of "dirt" underneath the stone.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i have worn diamonique for years and have had no clouding over -  i put my hands in all kinds of stuff. 

I just wore my diamonique black hills gold ring I purchased from Q about 4 years ago on Q and it is shiney as ever.  I also have absolute rings from Victoria Wieck about 3 years ago from HSN that are still lovely.

Regular Contributor

I do have to say that the Diamonique of 10-15 years ago is of far better quality than Diamonique of today. The settings were better quality too....the newer items that I have purchased within the past year really aren't that great.

Regular Contributor

If your Diamonique stones are cloudy, I would not hesitate to put a call in to Customer Service and tell them.  With the lifetime guarantee, you should not have to have cloudy CZs, especially if they are Diamonique stones.  That is one of their big "hot" selling points, so I would definitely let them know and give them a chance to fix your jewelry that is cloudy.  I know Diamonique is expensive, the most of all the electronic stations, so let them know about this and let them prove themselves to you.  AND, thank you for the information on why the stones do turn cloudy!  What a stroke of genius for us to know.  I was amazed at your findings and never even considered the stones to be porous.  Mine have not turned cloudy, but I don't wear them much anymore.