Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS --OCTOBER 2015

@Lavenderjunkie wrote:

aprimo:  The SAN III should fit nicely on your wrist.  My wrist is about the same size and if I wear the SAN III above the wrist bone it's fine.   I have the leather strap Swiss SAN III,  the same design and strap as the abalone one,  just different dial and movement.

I love the abalone dial version and am tempted to order it too.   The thing that stops me is that I really find bracelet watches more comforable.  The weight of the bracelet balances the heavy dials better.   With the strap model SAN III I have to wear it very tight to keep the dial from tilting outward.  So I fasten the clasp at the wrist and then push the watch up above the wrist bone.  That seems to hold it in place.  I think if I wore the watch more the strap would soften up and that would help.  The strap is a good quality very thick leather strap.  And it's plenty long.

LJ, there is a bracelet version of this watch in the Invicta online catalog. However, it's a chronograph and it appears they put dark subdials on top of the abalone, so IMO it's not nearly as attractive a dial as even the SAN I abalone dial. I think I posted a picture of it in the Sept. thread.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the SAN III. I've contemplated buying one many times, but I guess I've never seen one that I just HAD to have. This may be the one. I love the look of abalone when it's a really nice piece. I also bought that two-sided abalone pendant they had on earlier yesterday with Chuck Clemency. Can't wait to see both of them in person (the abalone, not Chuck)! Woman Very Happy

ETA: Well, I wasn't logged in when I started typing this and the forum just kept asking me for my password, even though I typed it in correctly. Fortunately I was able to click the back button on my browser a few times and copy my message. This forum definitely still has issues.

Frequent Contributor

Hi ladies.

I've been really busy since getting back from vacation, with work and just getting things back together after being gone almost a month.

I had opened my SANI (great dial with lots of purples and blues) after picking it up at the office, but hadn't sized it. I'd been wearing my Swiss pro-diver meteorite Invicta the last few days, after all the talk of meteorite.

Most of my bracelet watches are all too big now, after losing 30 lbs over the summer. I'm holding off on resizing most of them, since I hope to continue losing.

I decided to size the SANI this morning, as I'm going out to dinner for my birthday this evening and wanted to wear something special. I ended up taking out 2 whole links and 1 half link.

I also bought the SANIII with abalone dial last night. I don't wear the SANIII's as much as I should, but I like the cleaner dial and the SANI in the larger size was too big for me I think. LJ, I agree, if the straps soften up they are easier to wear (but I don't wear them often enough to break in the straps).

I hope this posts (I'll copy first just in case).

Respected Contributor

Jazzy:  welcome back.  Glad you like your abalone SAN I and Happy Birthday.   Hope it's a wonderful year.

I'm obsessed with the abalone dial and am caving and ordering the SAN III.  I just can't decide on which bezel.

Good info on copying the post before clicking on post.  This new system is very annoying.  Still some bugs to be worked out.  It's gotten worse over the past few weeks.  Constantly having to sign in again and again is a pain.

Respected Contributor

I decided to order the GT SAN III abalone.

Trusted Contributor

So LJ caved.......lol.  I have two of these abalone dials now, how many do I need?  I do like the gm so that could be the one....if I decide to join in.  Smiley Wink

Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

I debated the GM. Actually, I think any one of the choices is good. It took me a long time to decide.
Trusted Contributor

LJ I kind of lost track. Do you have the 38mm GT and ST bracelet abalone now? I'm surprised that you ordered the strap abalone. Now me, I love those straps. I'm still debating, looks like none will sell out and I don't see the price changing. Am I wrong? Is there a hur y for me to make up my mind?
Trusted Contributor

@jenagal wrote:
LJ I kind of lost track. Do you have the 38mm GT and ST bracelet abalone now? I'm surprised that you ordered the strap abalone. Now me, I love those straps. I'm still debating, looks like none will sell out and I don't see the price changing. Am I wrong? Is there a hur y for me to make up my mind?

When it was presented yesterday morning they said there was only about 150 of each color.

Respected Contributor

Jena:  when they were presenting them on Saturday they kept stressing how low the quantity was and how fast they were selling.  Of course you never know what that really means.  Yes,  I have the GT and the SS in the 38mm SAN I abalone.  I bought the SAN III for the larger abalone presence on the dial.  Straps aren't my favorite,  but at least it's a different look than another bracelet model (if they were to have it in the future). 

It was very hard to tell what the GM version will look like in real life.  The online photos weren't very good and they didn't show it enough during the presentation.  I wear more YG than SS and I have tons of SS watches,  so I put the SS as my third choice.  I know what the GT will look like and I wasn't sure what the GM will look like.... will the dial pop or will the watch have a darker, more subtle look?????   I didn't want to chance not liking it and having to return it.   For me the gold was a safe choice.

Since you already have the large dial in GT,  your considerations are different.  The GM makes the most sense for a different look.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing like getting out of the watch buying mood. I find 12 more dead batteries. Now to the jeweler I go, no more not even abalone dials.

ETA:  When one is a watch collector if you have any watches of any value, you must keep them running.  Watches sitting there with dead batteries, have a good chance of the battery leaking and ruining the movement.  Now that's expensive to replace.  So you must replace the battery whether you wear it or not.  I find some I don't believe that I have ever worn since the last battery change.  Now that puts a dark cloud over my further collecting.  Bummer. 

Now with handbags, or jewelry, you don't have that problem.