Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS --OCTOBER 2015

Hi

I just logged in to find that I am a "Valued Contributor." LOL. I think of all those posts that went away with the last upgrade and I just have to laugh.

I am drawn too to the SANIII abalone. However, I have to remind myself that I just bought a MacBook. That was worth five nice watches. The computer I need for my work. I am trying to expand my skill set beyond Microsoft. (Turned away work,because wanted knowledge or "fluency" in both.) I don't know if I really want another plus-size dial watch for myself either.

My daily wear watch lately has been the SANV. It has a gorgeous dial and you can hit with a tank. The fit on the bracelet is great and the knurling on the bracelet means that I don't have to worry about scratches or replacing straps.

I will say one thing: not all gunmetal is created equal. The GM Invicta uses can vary piece to piece. On the Excursion, it's  gorgous, but it's not the same as the GM bezel on the Speedway 38, the Excursion on the strap, which is brushed metal. It's also different on the auto Scuba and women's Pro Diver that I own. Sometimes it's almost black and very dramatic and sometimes it's more of a matte gray.

Trusted Contributor

@jenagal wrote:
The gunmetal with abalone dial ought to be a nice look. I don't own many gm and I do like the leather straps. Geeze, I'm beginning to own way too many large dials. The dial on the 47mm will have to suffice. That is what I keep telling myself.

I'm kind of liking the gunmetal too. I think I want to see them presented first. For some reason I'm liking the GT with the abalone, but I already have the GT SAN I and I really wear more silver jewelry lately. Plus, with the black leather strap, a more casual look, I'm thinking the gunmetal or the silver is more suitable. I love the big clean dial. Will wait and see.

Respected Contributor

I wore my SAN III on the leather strap all afternoon.  I think I've decided that I don't want another one.  I'll watch the show tonight and of course I could be blown away by the look of the dial.  But maybe I'll fall asleep before I can order.

My guess is they will  use that dial again later in the year on something in the Angel collection.... a little smaller and thinner.  I could be wrong,  but the abalone seems to be the new darling.  Of course the Angel watches are usually Swiss Parts movements,  and I might regret passing on the SAN III Swiss made watch when I see the styles and prices of the Angels.   Or they might not do another watch with this dial.  No way to know for sure.

Respected Contributor

The SAN III with the abalone dial is pretty, but I don't wear the two 42mm SAN III's  with mop dial that I have, so I certainly don't need another 42mm.  40mm has sort of become my new size limit & preferably a 36mm-38mm is best for me.  I've been switching back & forth wearing the GT & ST SAN I with the abalone dial lately, so I'm good for now!

aub

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

aubnwa: glad you are enjoying your abalone SAN I watches. I'm going to turn off the computer... I feel the same way you do about the 42mm SAN III, but the dial is calling to me. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

That was a terrible presentation. I hardly got to see the gunmetal at all. I was surprised to see that case has a polished finish rather than matte. It was hard to tell from the pics online. I went ahead and ordered the ST. I've never had a SAN III before, so we'll see if I like it. The dial is so beautiful, I couldn't resist.

Respected Contributor

I kind of like that Bone Collector watch with the skulls on the dial, but the 48mm case size is a no-go for me, thankfully!   But, if they ever do it in a 39mm case............

aub

Respected Contributor

@aprimo wrote:

That was a terrible presentation. I hardly got to see the gunmetal at all. I was surprised to see that case has a polished finish rather than matte. It was hard to tell from the pics online. I went ahead and ordered the ST. I've never had a SAN III before, so we'll see if I like it. The dial is so beautiful, I couldn't resist.

aprimo, I hope you love it.  The SAN III case reminds me of a hockey puck on my wrist!

aub

Trusted Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@aprimo wrote:

aprimo, I hope you love it.  The SAN III case reminds me of a hockey puck on my wrist!

aub

I have a big wrist (about 7 inches) so I'm hoping it will work.

Respected Contributor

aprimo:  The SAN III should fit nicely on your wrist.  My wrist is about the same size and if I wear the SAN III above the wrist bone it's fine.   I have the leather strap Swiss SAN III,  the same design and strap as the abalone one,  just different dial and movement.

I love the abalone dial version and am tempted to order it too.   The thing that stops me is that I really find bracelet watches more comforable.  The weight of the bracelet balances the heavy dials better.   With the strap model SAN III I have to wear it very tight to keep the dial from tilting outward.  So I fasten the clasp at the wrist and then push the watch up above the wrist bone.  That seems to hold it in place.  I think if I wore the watch more the strap would soften up and that would help.  The strap is a good quality very thick leather strap.  And it's plenty long.