Trusted Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS....... JULY 2016

I contacted Evine about my blank warranty cards and they advised to fill out the info myself and where the card says Retailers Stamp on the website it says to fill in the Retailers name, no stamp to it. So I filled them in. Also these watches are under warranty from TechnoMarine. Although the Ashford warranty I bet is the same as the TM warranty. But at least they are warranted for 2 years. In any case Monday I will get the wht RT non blingy sized. I can't wait to wear it. The price changed from $297 back to $1190 again. I wonder when they will present them or change the price back? Anyway I love the Blue Mantas. Smiley Wink
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Jena:  thanks for the info.   Enjoy your new watches.

Trusted Contributor

I noticed that one of the two remaining RT/blk ceramic TM sold.  (Blue Manta) No white is available.  Good thing, for I'd be troubled.  Just a heads up, none out here at this price and most websites don't have them available either.  They are beautiful.  Smiley Wink

Frequent Contributor

Well, my TM Blue Many a finally arrived & I want to share my experience for some feedback from my "experts". First of all, I'm not completely convinced my watch is new. It had the protective film on the face and back, and the clasp was also covered - but the rest of the watch wasn't wrapped. It was also covered in greasy fingerprints but I was relieved that everything wiped off and there were no scratches. I kept thinking of what LJ said about not caring about doing a little cleanup if she got the watch at a great price. I felt a little better.
Next, when I rushed to my jeweler to have it sized ( I couldn't wait, after all this time!) he was very cavalier about my concerns over the sizing. As I was trying to present my concerns & how I wanted the watch to fit, he basically snatched it from my hand and started to dismantle it. I was cringing as I heard him strike the watch repeatedly with his hammer to put the pins in, terrified he would break it. I know he's a professional (and I'm not) but this is the most expensive watch (what I actually paid is immaterial) that I've ever bought and I felt it deserved a little respect! Am I wrong? Anyway when he brought it back to the counter, he had removed four links. Now, he knows I like my bracelet watches with drape - but I was hoping he'd find a way to give me a closer fit for this particular style. But he wasn't open to discussion. When I showed him that the bracelet was too big, he said that if he took out two more links, it would be two tight (for me) and removing one more would make it off balance. So I left. I don't like it, it doesn't stay in place and rests on the top of my hand. What do you all think? I still seem to envision my watch as fitting higher, yet I don't want it tight, as it will annoy me (or pinch my skin). I also have doubts about returning to him and his hammer - however, an expert jeweler with no social skills is easily accepted! Am I being paranoid or too sensitive? Should I just wear my watch as a bangle and live with it? Talk me down, please!
Thank you!
Also, am I supposed to do something with the warranty card?
Trusted Contributor

@Chefgal411 wrote:
Well, my TM Blue Many a finally arrived & I want to share my experience for some feedback from my "experts". First of all, I'm not completely convinced my watch is new. It had the protective film on the face and back, and the clasp was also covered - but the rest of the watch wasn't wrapped. It was also covered in greasy fingerprints but I was relieved that everything wiped off and there were no scratches. I kept thinking of what LJ said about not caring about doing a little cleanup if she got the watch at a great price. I felt a little better.
Next, when I rushed to my jeweler to have it sized ( I couldn't wait, after all this time!) he was very cavalier about my concerns over the sizing. As I was trying to present my concerns & how I wanted the watch to fit, he basically snatched it from my hand and started to dismantle it. I was cringing as I heard him strike the watch repeatedly with his hammer to put the pins in, terrified he would break it. I know he's a professional (and I'm not) but this is the most expensive watch (what I actually paid is immaterial) that I've ever bought and I felt it deserved a little respect! Am I wrong? Anyway when he brought it back to the counter, he had removed four links. Now, he knows I like my bracelet watches with drape - but I was hoping he'd find a way to give me a closer fit for this particular style. But he wasn't open to discussion. When I showed him that the bracelet was too big, he said that if he took out two more links, it would be two tight (for me) and removing one more would make it off balance. So I left. I don't like it, it doesn't stay in place and rests on the top of my hand. What do you all think? I still seem to envision my watch as fitting higher, yet I don't want it tight, as it will annoy me (or pinch my skin). I also have doubts about returning to him and his hammer - however, an expert jeweler with no social skills is easily accepted! Am I being paranoid or too sensitive? Should I just wear my watch as a bangle and live with it? Talk me down, please!
Thank you!
Also, am I supposed to do something with the warranty card?

I can't speak for the Blue Manta in particular because I didn't remove any links from mine. However, I have several watches, including my SL Karamicas, that I have removed (well, my jeweler has removed) an odd number of links from and it works just fine. My jeweler suggested that when removing an odd number of links, you should make the 6 o'clock side shorter. That works for me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Blue Manta wasn't completely wrapped either.  But your jeweler not wanting to take out an uneven number of links is unacceptable. Mine had 5 taken out and it fits good, not snug for I can't tolerate it.  The hammer is common, so don't cringe.  But he needs to take out another link free of charge.  

I like,Lav J, have received watches in terrible shape.  But they cleaned up and everything was perfect.  I think you'll be happy with another link out.  

Thinking about it, my non blingy was pristine, was more wrapped than the blingy one received.  Maybe someone tried on the blk blingy, but I love it, I'm glad they sent it back.

Also the warranty card needs filling out from the info on your invoice.  For the retailers part just write,down Evine, their address in Eden Prairie, MN. And list their cust. Serv. #.  Always keep the invoice for if a repair is to be made they may want a copy of it.  

Respected Contributor

Chefgal:  time for a deep breath.  Take the watch back to the jeweler and tell him to remove 1 more link.... from the 6 o'clock side of the bracelet.  If he tells you it will be uneven,  tell him, that's ok,  you need 1 more link out.  There is no reason he should not have done this when you were there.  But jewelers (and others too)  think they know it all.  If he gives you a hard time,  tell him your friend has the same watch, and ti's perfectly comfortable with an odd # of links removed.

As for the 'hammer',  on links with a pin attachment,  that is the only way to take the watch apart or put it together.  Since the bracelet is part ceramic,  the jeweler should be using a wooden hammer,  not a metal one.  But the screws are in the metal part of the links,  so if his aim is good, it should be ok.  The ceramic insets in the watch are thick.  But,  ceramic can chip if you hit it wrong.... as all those ladies who ship their ceramic watches by dropping them on the floor or hitting a door jam by accident.  The good thing is you will have lots of spare links after the sizing,  so you have your own back-up supply.

As for the fingerprints on the watch... it's disappointing,  but you will forget all about that once you begin to enjoy your watch.

I hope today is a better day.  You spent a lot of money on a new treasures,  and your pleasure shouldn't be dimmed by the nonsense with the jeweler.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

One more thought Chefgal. Your jeweler may be feeling that you think it's his first day on the job. I would just ask for another link to be removed, like LavJ said and I wouldn't go into the hammers etc. Hopefully one more link out fits perfectly. After all it's the customers fit for the watch and not his opinion. Good Luck.

When it came to the packaging, yes mine (non blingy) white was just factory fresh, like you said. It was a thrill. The black I think was probably sent back because some one thought it was too stiff, or too hefty.  They just didn't give the watch a chance.  Early on when the 35mm came in, I thought...OMG how can anyone wear a watch that large.  I gave it a chance, I rubber banded it around my wrist and wore it.  I gave it a chance and I changed my mind.  From that size it has grown up to 42mm that I am comfortable with. The 40mm is my fav. I guess.  

I always let a watch sit for two or more days before I size it because if it's not running correctly, it will show up in that time. So rather than having to get it fixed under warranty, I just send it back...of course there has to be one to buy in it's place.

Frequent Contributor

A very big thank you to @aprimo, Jena & LJ for your wise words & calming influence! I do love my new watch - it's just beautiful! It cleaned up perfectly & that's what matters. I guess I'm still a novice collector & have a lot to learn! I will return to the jeweler & have the additional link removed. I agree the watch will fit me perfectly then & I can move on to wearing it happily.
Really, I thank you all so much for your help & advice! I'm so lucky to have found this thread & all of you! ❤
Respected Contributor

chefgal:  glad to have you as part of our watch collectors conversations.  We all know different things,  based upon what we have learned over the years or situations we have had to personally deal with.   One of the things I love about the ladies on this thread is everyone is so willing to share the info and insights they have gathered over time.  And they do it while recognizing that everyone has a different style and budget.

I still have a lot to learn about watches.  I know more today than I did 5 years ago.  Hopefully,  I'll be even more informed 5 years from now.  Discussing our watches and asking questions here helps us all get smarter.

I hope everything works out smoothly with your jeweler.  I love the guy who takes care of my watches.   He's 30 miles away from me,  but worth the drive.   I have nightmares about what will happen when he closes up and decides to retire.