Frequent Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS. . . AUGUST 2014

Hi ladies.

I watched the Dooney shows but no purchases for me.

And woke up to an email from my major CC with a fraud alert. Sigh. 2 charges I made yesterday (dinner and gasoline) were on there, but also several $1 charges from video downloading sites and Experian (the credit report site). I called Capital One and in addition there was a $240 Home Depot charge (not mine). So CC is cancelled and I will have to change it at lots of places where it's on file, when I get the new one.

On a happier note, WOTD LP Celano (haven't worn this one for a while):

Respected Contributor

Jazzy: that's my favorite LP Celano. The double bezel adds so much to the look of the watch. Sorry about your CC. It's happening far too often these days.

Honored Contributor

lavender: I'm not concerned about the specs it's a great watch I just wanted you to look at it and agree with me that it was stunning :-)do you think I can get it on value pay? Lol
Respected Contributor

Andrea; let's see.... 6 value pays at $7500 each! I'm sure they have that option.

Respected Contributor

Hi all.

Been very busy. Hope all is well.

Since we are hanging out on the Q's forum, it's time to pull out one of their watches for discussion. I know they started another thread, but here you go:

http://www.qvc.com/Judith-Ripka-Stainless-Steel-Chronograph-Textured-Watch-with-Diamonique.product....

New versions of this watch have been added. I am not the biggest fan of diamonique, but given the recent watch trend of putting crystals on larger watch bezels for women, why not? I have always liked this watch: love the size (about 39mm) and the fact that she used a Swiss Movement and a sapphire-coated mineral crystal. Love the texturing on the bracelet. I bet the black and brown are stunning. Inexpensive? No.

My questions: have they continued to use a Swiss Movement, or did they cheapen the watch by using Swiss Parts and/or Japanese movement? Also, did they retain the sapphire-coated mineral crystal?

(There. That should cover our Q watch discussion.)

Respected Contributor

Java: back of the watch case in the description says Swiss Parts movement. Watch made in China. No info on the crystal. My guess is mineral crystal, at best.

Trusted Contributor

It's funny how my taste in watches has changed over the years. When I stated years(and years) ago it was just fun Anne Kleins, then I moved to Citizen but the style was lacking, lately I've liked some of the Micheles, invicta, burberry and have to admit to liking a cartier I tried on but will pass due to cost. I did see a square black MOP versace I really liked and the specs were OK, but I couldn't get past the versace on the bezel (I just don't like the designer plastered all over watches or handbags). So, now I am on the look out for a nice black MOP watch without crystals in the 30-34mm range. I did see Michele just released a Serein 16, but do not want to pay the price and would prefer something other than a round face(perhaps during a friends and family sale I will change my mind!). Trying to buy fewer of better quality.

I can say with certainty Andreas find will never be within my budget. Aren't watches fun!!!

Trusted Contributor

I like the look of the Ripka watch and I don't mind the Diamonique. I like it better than some of the oversized crystals I've seen on some other women's watches. I'm not a huge fan of chronographs in general. I like the ones that have month, day and date features since I will actually use those. I would feel a little silly buying a chronograph with stop-watch features I will never use.

I can't see buying the Ripka chronograph when there are so many other higher quality watches I can get for that price or lower. I'm sure that watch is directed at Ripka jewelry lovers and not female watch-lovers. I don't doubt she'll do well with it.

Trusted Contributor

Hmm... OK, it seems like the forums hate me today. Technical issues abound. Are we not allowed to post links to external sites anymore?

Equss, I think the Swiss Legend Bella Ceramic watch (model 10034) in black might suit your needs. I've been looking at it for some time. I like the rectangular case. The black MOP face, if it is the same quality of MOP as the Karamicas, should be beautiful. When I am out of the NBZ, I may go for the version with diamonds. You can see them on WoW (I tried to post the link but got kicked out of the forums).

Respected Contributor

On 8/21/2014 aprimo said:

I like the look of the Ripka watch and I don't mind the Diamonique. I like it better than some of the oversized crystals I've seen on some other women's watches. I'm not a huge fan of chronographs in general. I like the ones that have month, day and date features since I will actually use those. I would feel a little silly buying a chronograph with stop-watch features I will never use.

I can't see buying the Ripka chronograph when there are so many other higher quality watches I can get for that price or lower. I'm sure that watch is directed at Ripka jewelry lovers and not female watch-lovers. I don't doubt she'll do well with it.

Yeah, I know. You have to view it within context. As someone who's into watches, I understand what you are saying. But around here, they sell mostly low end fashion watches that are base metal and no water resistance. Ms. Ripka has tried to maintain some sort of standard. And some watches are meant to be pretty. There's something out there for everyone.

I will say, though, that as time goes on, watches have become very expensive. And some brands have downgraded some of their offering to offset labor and materials costs. JR watches are never a bargain. You might get them at a decent price, but they are basically aimed at those who buy her jewelry from Q. They were always better quality than Gossip or Relic watches.