Respected Contributor

Thank you to whoever posted this tip on securing pins!

This great tip saved one of my treasured KF Fairy pins yesterday!  Oh yeah.... the tip was to put the pin tip throught material THEN slide on one of those thin plastic tube thingie earring backs (get on ebay) and then to the outside of material and use the pin closure. That way if the pin closure unhooks somehow it is saved from falling off because the thin earring tube holds it on. I will NEVER EVER wear a pin without this "safety feature" again so THANK YOU to whoever posted this  jewelry saving tip! (it was on the old board) Cheers!

Honored Contributor

Re: Thank you to whoever posted this tip on securing pins!

That was a great tip.  I have several pin/pendants I never wear as pins because they unfasten.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I found this tip very useful. never find like this before.

Esteemed Contributor

@silkyk

What a great idea! How many of us have those silicone or rubber earring backs just sitting in your jewelry box unused? I have those types where I only have one because the other one has disappeared so those could be used too!

Super Contributor

I do this as well with any earring that has a snap bar closure. Too often, those can come undone and I have some very loved, and expenisive, earrings that I would be devastated if I lost. But now I can wear them knowing they are safe. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

LOL, I was one of a few people who posted this tip.  I also recommended using the eraser off of a pencil for pins/brooches on fabric with a loose weave - the larger eraser prevents the pin from slipping through the loose weave.  Carefully create the hole in the eraser - you don't want to bend the pin.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk thank you for starting this thread and re-sharing this tip. Also thank you for reminding us to do the same thing: thank others when they post something that helps us.

@Merrylass thank you for the tip.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

So I'm trying out using a silicone earring back stopper on the end of the straight pin of the red poppy pins that are sold in Canada by the Royal Canadian Legion and so far it's working to keep the poppy pin in place. 

I'm always losing my poppy before Remembrance Day which is November 11 (same day as the U.S. Veterans Day) as the straight pin was always working itself out of my coat lapel.

Here is the protocol for wearing a poppy pin:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1662538/the-dos-and-donts-of-wearing-a-remembrance-day-poppy/

Honored Contributor

Those earring rubber backs are at Claires. (Accessory store in malls).

I won't wear sheherd's hook earrings without using them.  They are usually buy two packages, get one free.  I get mine there.

Honored Contributor

Suggestions for pins leaving holes holes/marks in fine gauge sweaters or silk blouses?