Regular Contributor

Sterling silver or white gold

Which one do u prefer? I don't have any silver tone earrings and was wondering if I should go for sterling silver or white gold. I am afraid that silver will be high maintenance as it needs polishing every now and then. What do u suggest?
Super Contributor

Re: Sterling silver or white gold

If you're looking for one pair to have forever, white gold, no question. The color is deeper, too.

If you're just looking for an inexpensive option to carry you through summer, sterling.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of sterling. I have a lot, I mean a lot, and I keep it in anti-tarnish boxes. I very rarely have to polish a piece usually only when I've inadvertently left a piece out.

I love the patina that silver gets caused by tiny scratches it gets with use. Silver that is often worn for, some reason, will not tarnish. I've worn a set of sterling bangles most of the time for years and not a one of them has ever been polished. The patina on them gives a soft, mellow glow. I don't like the shinny, sparkly silver...I prefer it with some oxidation as you can then see the detail in the design. Some people like it bright, it's just a matter of taste.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I wear both but I do prefer white gold. I don't find silver to be high maintenance. I have a silver safe keeper as well. Usually the designs are so different, white gold being more petite. Silver is usually bolder and maybe more artistic. I would just find a piece you like and choose based on that as well as price. If I wanted some big bold hoops or a 36" chain I would definitely be looking at silver even though I prefer white gold.
Honored Contributor

If you're not a ""silver lover"" go for the white gold. Silver lovers wouldn't have to ask.

(I'm a silver lover.)

Super Contributor

I prefer white gold because it's gold, but I have much more silver. I really like the ultrafine silver line that QVC sells.

Esteemed Contributor

I much prefer sterling to white gold. White gold is lack luster and I love the sheen that sterling gives off. Ultra fine silver from the Q is gorgeous. I've really never had to polish my sterling. I keep most of it in a tarnish free jewelry box.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2014 twopeas said:

I much prefer sterling to white gold. White gold is lack luster and I love the sheen that sterling gives off. Ultra fine silver from the Q is gorgeous. I've really never had to polish my sterling. I keep most of it in a tarnish free jewelry box.

Love the UltraFine line too!!

Super Contributor

I like gold gold normally, but recently I did want some white metal and I chose silver. I now have two silver rings and a pair of earrings. I was concerned that the earrings might bother my sensitive ears, but they haven't.

Respected Contributor

I have both silver and white gold....lots more silver... because it's so much more affordable and also because there are lots more interesting designs. If you were only going to buy 1 pair of white metal earrings, and you can afford to spend around $200 or more... go for the white gold. And don't skimp on the weight of the gold to save money. Gold jewelry is expensive these days (another subject). But if you buy a quality piece it will last forever.

I also have lots of silver and it's lasted me for years. I rarely polish my earrings and they are fine.... again it depends on the quality of the silver and how you store it. Don't buy oxidized silver if you want it to look bright and shiny. Oxidized silver won't have an tarnish resistant coatings.