Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@songbird, Sapphires are my birthstone.  I want one that is not lead glass filled.  Heating I'm not that concerned with but no lead filling and fissure filling for me.

What a beautiful stone.  I had the opportunity to buy these gems (along with Burmese Rubies) and chose not to because I wasn't educated enough at the time to understand the quality and how region affected their price.  

I was busy buying other exotics and semi precious stones.  You must know, I kick myself all the time now.  LOL.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Believe it or not, most shopping networks do not offer glass filled gems.  Please try and get a GIA report (if they offer one)  It will tell you the degree of heating and country of origin.  And if you have diamonds, it will tell you the grade of them.   Of the networks I've seen, TVON is the cheapest.  The most expensive is gem shopping network, but their colors are amazing. All gemstones are cheaper without diamonds.  But to me, I need them on.  It makes the gem better looking.  Precious and exotic gems gain in value and increase in price.  So don't stop buying exotics!  Of those, probably the valuable now are the Paraibas. It's a very high end tormaline with a neon blue green color.  Generally speaking the most expensive stone is the emerald.  Columbia's emeralds look frosty and have a faint blue tinge.  Brazilian emeralds are more the classic green.  There is an African one that very beautiful.  But emeralds are soft, so be careful wearing them.  Tanzanians are even softer.  The craze for them has died down thankfully. 

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@songbird, Sapphires are my birthstone.  I want one that is not lead glass filled.  Heating I'm not that concerned with but no lead filling and fissure filling for me.

What a beautiful stone.  I had the opportunity to buy these gems (along with Burmese Rubies) and chose not to because I wasn't educated enough at the time to understand the quality and how region affected their price.  

I was busy buying other exotics and semi precious stones.  You must know, I kick myself all the time now.  LOL.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Believe it or not, most shopping networks do not offer glass filled gems.  Please try and get a GIA report (if they offer one)  It will tell you the degree of heating and country of origin.  And if you have diamonds, it will tell you the grade of them.   Of the networks I've seen, TVON is the cheapest.  The most expensive is gem shopping network, but their colors are amazing. All gemstones are cheaper without diamonds.  But to me, I need them on.  It makes the gem better looking.  Precious and exotic gems gain in value and increase in price.  So don't stop buying exotics!  Of those, probably the valuable now are the Paraibas. It's a very high end tormaline with a neon blue green color.  Generally speaking the most expensive stone is the emerald.  Columbia's emeralds look frosty and have a faint blue tinge.  Brazilian emeralds are more the classic green.  There is an African one that very beautiful.  But emeralds are soft, so be careful wearing them.  Tanzanians are even softer.  The craze for them has died down thankfully. 

@songbird, HSN produly sells them as does, JTV.  They even give them their own name like Mahelo Ruby on JTV.  I'm not sure about Evine.  All I need to know is their region and I can tell almost if they have been lead glass filled.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge, Songbird.  By the way, I'm watching TVON online.  Hope they show more than just rings.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sapphires on TV

[ Edited ]

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge, Songbird.  By the way, I'm watching TVON online.  Hope they show more than just rings.

They had a 4 carat diamond tennis bracelet on yesterday.  They wanted $2,770.  which is way, way cheaper then Gem Shopping.  They would sell it for $6-7,000.00.  But you care correct,  Most of them are rings.  In fact, Gem Shopping, TVON, Gemhunters, & Lux sell mostly rings.  You have to remember, theydon't sell fake diamonds and silver.  They have jewelry made of 14K, 18K and platinum.  Almost all gems have diamonds surrounding them.  Necklaces and some bracelets will really too costly.  Though Gem Shopping sells jewelry in the 6 figure range. Bear ln mind they sell jewelry for a specific audience.  Gem Shopping sells to celebrities all the time.  They can afford to sell super costly jewelry.  They once had a no heat Kashmir sapphire that was offered at 3 million.  That's about average for some of the Kashmir stones.   That was part of their red carpet event.  The rest sell to middle class women.  Most work and want jewerly to be good qualtiy but not super expensvie.  Lux is a snobby network.  No semi-precious for them.  It's like it would dirty their hands.  But so far I haven't seen the extreme pricing I've seen on Gem Shopping.

Trusted Contributor

Songbird, everything you have related to the rest of us regarding this channel seems to be true.  They did show a pair of in and out diamond hoops last night that were DA BOMB and sold for a song at auction.  Even though I'm not into rings, if I saw a stone on one they were selling that I felt could be reset into something I'd like better, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and do just that. 

Overall, I was impressed with the offerings and the prices.  Even though I'm not a tv watcher, I will try to catch them from time to time and look for something lovely.