Trusted Contributor

Ripka advance purchase watch

I tried blowing up the picture and noticed this watch has a Japanese movement and is made in China. The other watches I ve had from her are made in Thailand with Swiss part movements. Not sure what to think about that.... I like that it is listed as slightly smaller face at 1.25 in vs the normal 1.5. I am curious if any of you own the original if it has the same movement as this new release?? Just curious because I do like it. Tia
Respected Contributor

Re: Ripka advance purchase watch

Mine (the original offering) says Made in China with Swiss Movement.

Edited to add that I did buy the new one in the goldtone. Japanese movement is also good. I think my old Seiko has Japanese Movement.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Cosmic! I agree Japanese movements can be very good but I was curious about changes. I am tempted by the gold and will probably get that one even though I generally prefer white metal. I am curious if you feel like it wears smaller than some of Judith's other watches? A quarter in can make a big difference.. Thanks again for your reply and enjoy your me watch when it arrives.
Respected Contributor

Other watch manufacturers have turned to Japanese movements. Look at Coach watches by Movado. They used to be Swiss Made!

Some of JR's watches had Swiss Movements and 5ATM water resistance. Then they had Swiss Parts movements. Her cheaper watches have had Japanese movements. All were very attractive.

Respected Contributor

The stainless steel one that I have is the only Judith Ripka watch that I own. I bought the one that had the floating crystals, but the stem pulled out when I tried to set it, so back it went.

So, I cannot say if this one fits more snugly than her other ones. One thing I can say is that it is perfectly balanced. I never have an issue with the face sliding underneath my wrist. Maybe someone else who has more than one of her watches can respond.

Valued Contributor

I would love to sell mine that looks just like this one only a bit larger and get this one. Hmmmmm........

Respected Contributor

There is a range of quality of watch movements from every manufacturer and every source. So without knowing the specific movement, there is no way to know what it's quality is. However, I collect watches, and consider Japanese movements to be equal quality or better than Swiss Parts movements.

Honored Contributor

Item # ????

Respected Contributor

J320266
Contributor

I would love to purchase an extra link if anyone is selling one. I have her old one and it's a bit too tight to wear comfortably right now.