Contributor

Oh, how I loved Robert Lee Morris of years gone by.  My silver Gingko earrings still draw compliments.  The depressing changes started slowly..a little brass mixed in, for variety I thought. But the trend picked up speed, and even though silver isn't so high, it's all bronze now. Sob. I'm looking at my solid silver round concave disc bracelet...so  fine it deserves a place in a museum of modern art, and mourning RLM. Please come back, Robert, sigh.

How do you feel about the changes?

Regular Contributor

I agree. His line isn't like it once was.  What a shame.  

Honored Contributor

Silver holds no special appeal for me.  I'll buy silver or white gold or white bronze based on the design of the piece, not on thr metal that the designer uses.  One of my all-time favorite pieces of jewelry is a large disk of copper and 2 colors of bronze.  I can wear it with whatever else I want to. I've had that pin since some time in the early 80's - it's never had an maintenance issues and its really never been out of style.

It was an artist piece I suspect RLM would applaud.  He ought to -  I wear it quite often with 3 bangles of his from the 90's -  no silver in those either, so I am one who really has no idea when he began to use less silver than he now does.

The only reason I can think of to be concerned with whether the designer uses silver or gold or some other metal might be if you want to sell the pieces for scrap some day.  I'd rather spend less to begin with, have jewelry I love, and put the money I save into a different investment that's more liquid.

I watched the RLM show lat night -  most interesting designs of the day for me so far.  I love his clean lines and the movement he gets from seemingly simple designs.  No shame at all as far as I can see.

Trusted Contributor

I agree. Loved to watch his silver shows so long ago. I don't have much from him, but I treasure my concave disk ring. I loved the artistry of the pieces.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I do not mind white bronze, in fact I like it.  I would purchase white bronze if it were priced at whiite bronze prices.  Bronze is much much cheaper than silver, should be priced at such. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking the same thing after the Scott Kay show. If others are still working with silver and substantial silver, why can't he. My son still has that freeform cross. I kick myself that I didn't get it in the gold when he offered it.

Contributor

It's refreshing to read your honest feelings.  While silver and gold are very special to me, others are not so impressed. I do think price is part of the problem for me. Bronze and brass are much cheaper materials. Still, Robert's designs are as lovely and simple as ever. Oh well, there are "other fish in the sea".

Esteemed Contributor

I too was a big fan of RLM silver and own several of his pieces from the early days.  Last year we visited his store in NYC.  I knew once he began doing the mixed metal design it was the beginning of the end.  Wish I had acquired more of his of his pieces back then,  jewelry shopping isn't what it used to be for sure.

Valued Contributor

It's sad... I am thankful for the beautiful pieces I have from years ago. RLM made  AMAZING heavy solid sterling silver jewelry. Some of the reviews of the jewelry I was interested in, they are saying the white bronze is coming off...

Honored Contributor

Didn't RLM sell his company?   It's possible he's working for someone other than himself who is calling the shots. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment