Valued Contributor

Is there such a thing?  I was watching a "competing" home shopping network and they presented a ring with a "purple turquoise" stone. 

Respected Contributor

Interesting.  I know there's a purplish mineral called sugilite that's often used in jewelry with turquoise, but I've never heard of a "purple turquoise."   You might want to do some research before you buy anything called that.  I know I have a couple of southwest style jewelry pieces that have sugilite in them, along with turquoise & coral.

Honored Contributor

Its an atrocity against nature.  It's dyed and reconstituted.  I wouldn't have it in my jewelry collection.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It says in the description that is is enhanced color.  If you like it get it.  I have a yellow jade ring that is set in sterling and it is definitely color enhanced.  I knew what I was buying.  I like so I got it.  I also have a multi colored jade bracelet that is color enhanced.  It does not bother me.  I enjoy wearing my color enhanced jewelry.  It is all set in sterling.

Valued Contributor

Hello - Lower grade "chalk" turquoise is often stabilized to enhance its durability and color.  During the stabilization process (whereby the stone is impregnated with colorless resin), manufacturers may also add a coloring agent which completely alters the color of the turquoise.  You'll most often see shades of deep purple and bright lime greens (usually accompanied by a metallic bronze colored matrix).  These shades are sometimes referred to as "mojave" turquoise.  I'm a turquoise purist, but I also think that as long as these gem treatments are disclosed and the price of the item properly reflects its lesser value, then there is a place for these gems/pieces in the industry.  In other words, as long as you're an informed buyer, and you like the piece, go for it!  Hope I've helped a bit.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

It says in the description that is is enhanced color.  If you like it get it.  I have a yellow jade ring that is set in sterling and it is definitely color enhanced.  I knew what I was buying.  I like so I got it.  I also have a multi colored jade bracelet that is color enhanced.  It does not bother me.  I enjoy wearing my color enhanced jewelry.  It is all set in sterling.

I guess it just depends on whether you're a purist or a fashionista.  I'm a purist.  I love, love ,love the natural color of turquoise.

Valued Contributor

Hey Kachina!  Long time, no see.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy posting on these boards.  Hope all is well with you!  Robot Happy

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5   Hi Ali, good to hear from you.  I thought maybe you were one of the posters we lost in the "transition".  Do you have any new acquisitions I need to see?  If so, slap those pics up here.

Valued Contributor

Re: Purple turquoise???

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU to all who have replied and provided such valuable information.  Very happy to have recently discovered these forums.  Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

Hello - Lower grade "chalk" turquoise is often stabilized to enhance its durability and color.  During the stabilization process (whereby the stone is impregnated with colorless resin), manufacturers may also add a coloring agent which completely alters the color of the turquoise.  You'll most often see shades of deep purple and bright lime greens (usually accompanied by a metallic bronze colored matrix).  These shades are sometimes referred to as "mojave" turquoise.  I'm a turquoise purist, but I also think that as long as these gem treatments are disclosed and the price of the item properly reflects its lesser value, then there is a place for these gems/pieces in the industry.  In other words, as long as you're an informed buyer, and you like the piece, go for it!  Hope I've helped a bit.  Smiley Happy

AliJoi5:

Many thanks for the information.  No plans to purchase the piece, but was just stunned to hear about such a thing.  Indeed you have helped.  Thank you.