Occasional Contributor

Re: Price of Gold @ $1,118.97; Price of Silver @ $14.93 on18 August 2015 @ 2:21pm

You do what's right for you, which makes the most sense!  I have some Bronzo pieces too and really love them. 

We're in a weird phase right now because we're not sure how long gold and platinum will sustain such high prices, and we continue to use traditional frames of reference to value, or not value, various kinds of jewelry--hence references by some folks to traditional base metals as "junk" or "only fashion jewelry" and to high-end department stores moving Judith Ripka II from the fine jewelry to the costume jewelry counters because sterling silver has never had the cultural cachet that gold and platinum have had--at least, in the US.  A metal may be "precious" for investment purposes in certain forms (medals, ingots, bars, etc.) but still deemed low(er) class by those folks who wish to maintain a significant distinction between customers with a very great deal of money and those without.

So, I'm with you on the matter of deciding for myself what makes sense for me, but I'm wondering what will happen in the long term to the notion of jewelry value.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Price of Gold @ $1,118.97; Price of Silver @ $14.93 on18 August 2015 @ 2:21pm

Thanks for the info!  I tend to buy jewelry from eBay, primarily Q jewelry I'm familiar with (Carolyn Pollack, Ripka, for instance).  It's clear from the prices which vendors are trying to make money for themselves or their businesses and which vendors are trying to make a killing.  In my impressionistic survey of eBay offerings over the last several years, I've found that women selling off some of their personal collections tend to offer some of the most reasonable prices. In fact, the women in that group who are selling size large bracelets are by far the vendors most likely to offer tremendous deals.  Who knew? Makes me wish very much that I could wear a size large bracelet! 

Occasional Contributor

Good question about the fillers and bronze!  I understand using resin, for instance, in a piece of gold that's going to be paper thin because the vendors are trying to stay within a certain low-price range.  The resin gives durability that the gold itself simply cannot.  And if enough customers are willing to buy and keep those pieces because those are the pieces they can afford and like well enough, well, it makes business sense to provide those customers with those products.

The bronze is an interesting idea, most likely (if I remember rightly) emerging from the Italian jewelry craftspeople who historically have been the most adventrous and creative (at least, in Europe) in using a wide variety of materials in jewelry.  If a certain customer base can no longer afford gold, then appeal to that customer base with something else--hence the cyclic recurrence of leather, rubber, and wood, as well as the most recent move to metals primarily used in costume/fashion jewelry--brass, bronze, copper.  

Of course, that same customer base still likes its gold, so craftspeople also use different methods of jewelry making that require significantly less metal--thus the move to a lot of laser-carved thin disks, settings created with thin twists of gold the width of a few sewing threads, pendants featuring extremely inexpensive gemstones (all the quartzes, howlite, jasper, dolomite, agate, druzy, etc.) wrapped in a few strands of gold wire, etc.

And if businesses like Honora and QVC create and can sustain a customer base that likes and will pay the prices that Q asks for bronze and pearls or resin-filled gold, then why in the world would those businesses stop?  They are making handsome profits, which in corporate America is the sole purpose of being in business.

At the same time, I would be quite happy if enough Q customers voted with their wallets to send Q the message that price-gouging isn't a happy thing for everyone in the Q "family."

Super Contributor

It is obvious that the prices are very inflated on the Q.  When you consider that many times due to inconsistent sizing on rings you do have to think about getting a ring re-sized.  Sizing a silver ring can range from $25 and up.  So when you realize that you've already over paid for silver and then have to think about sizing cost you might as well forget about it unless you absolutely love it.  Also many people who are selling their Carolyn Pollack or other silver jewelry on Ebay are taking a loss.  Selling silver is sad.  Selling gold can be good when gold is high otherwise hold on to it.  But at least you will get something compared to selling your silver.

Honored Contributor

Enjoyed your post very much, thank you for sharing.  Woman Happy

Also, part of the equation is the Designer's Cache.... that an item made by Judith Ripka or Michael Dawkins will have a price tag higher than merely the materials and workmanship.  Doesn't seem right, but that's the way it works... same with handbags, watches and many other designer items. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP, Great post.  I was thinking about this also today. The price of some silver jewelry is higher than gold was at $300.00 per ounce.  I don't get it.

Esteemed Contributor

Silver isn't that expensive but vendors sure are charging a lot for silver jewelry.

Even vendors who have their jewelry manufactured in India or Thailand charge exhorbitant prices.

I watched the Sajen line on TSC in Canada (it's the same line of jewelry as the Offerings line on Evine) and they were charging hundreds of dollars for a bracelet that had 50 grams of silver and a bunch of average looking gemstones. Sorry but I'm not going to be lining their pockets.

New Contributor

I agree with you.  The price of gold was at its highest if 2011.  The price of gold today is at the same price it was int 2008-2009.  I don't appreciate QVC stating that "because the price of gold has risen that is why our peices cost" yes, most people don't do their homework and will take what they say at face value, but there are some of us that do homework.  QVC and other retailers prices of gold jeweley are not reflective of the devaluation of gold today.  Retailers are making a mint on gold jewlwery.   And as long as there is demand for it, they will keep the prices high.  They only lower the price by offering small gram weights of gold.