Regular Contributor
I read that you are force feeding your little yorkie and I have 2 suggestions to help. Dogsure is similar to Ensure and Pediasure - if your little one is drinking fluids on his own, then you can serve it in a dish or bottle feed him. The other is Nuti-Cal for Puppies which will help stimulate his appetite. Both items can be purchased at Amazon. In a pinch you can purchase unflavoured Pediasure and add chicken or beef broth to it. Make sure the broth is low sodium. I've used these products when my Westie was recovering from cancer and more recently for my Silky with the approval of our veterinary internist, cardiologist, and oncologist. Good luck with your little one and my prayers for his rapid recovery.
Regular Contributor

Re: O/T Lucky Peach re: Pootie

Another trick is to use a food processor to puree cooked chicken, beef, or liver and mix it with the DogSure (or unflavoured Pediasure) to the consistency of a thin apple sauce and feed it via a puppy nursing bottle (cut a larger hole in the nipple). I've found that feeding the Nutri-Cal every couple of hours (easiest to apply to your clean finger and have the puppy lick it off or if he isn't interested, 'wipe' it onto his tongue), followed by DogSure (either "straight" or pureed with Pootie's favourite protein) in a bottle every 2 hours helps. Every teaspoon of Nutri-Cal and tablespoon of DogSure will make a difference. Pootie may only consume a tablespoon at a time and you undoubtedly have lots of patience. It's scary when they are not eating but don't give up hope. Please read the reviews on Amazon and speak to your vet.

Reminder: if you are force feeding your dog, make sure you insert the dropper or bottle to the side of his mouth and not down the front of his mouth -- it minimizes the chances of aspirating the food into his lungs.

Hope and pray that he is improving.

Regular Contributor

Awwww, Peach I hope it he is improving. I would do anything possible for my furbabies; had a wonderful tabby named Guido who had severe kidney issues; my vet taught me how to give him fluids via an IV, and he let me do this 2x a day for 4 years!!!!!! Still miss him...so glad I was given an option...hope Pootie is improving!!!

Super Contributor

LuckyPeach, I sure hope your little Yorkies are improving every day. If you get chance please let us know. We are thinking about you.

I'm going to the dr again in the morning to see what I have...sinus infection or the start of bronchitis.

Take care