Honored Contributor

Re: New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Parties....

I remember the pearls in a can sold on shopping channels and in Penneys.  I don't remember pearl parties nor have I heard about them coming back recently but I'm sure I will.

I detest home parties of any kind.  The last one I was invited to was an Origami Owl party and that stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.  I did not attend. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have a nieice who is into selling these - she is constantly putting stuff on FB about them etc. Thank goodness she lives 1000 miles away from me so I don't have to go to the parties.

Does she work for Vantel?

Trusted Contributor

Re: New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Party Scam

OMG, how I hate these kinds of parties!  Doesn't matter what they are selling, I'm just not interested. Being an old lady now, it doesn't bother me as much to say NO as it use to. 

I'm kinda surprised those pearl parties are back. When my daughter was a baby a cousin gave me a pearl (a teensy little thing) to give her when she got older. That daughter is now 43. I don't remember what happened to that little pearl. Pearls were harder to come by in those days. 

Honored Contributor

I liked Home Interiors and Party Lite Candles.  I preferred the home/candle stuff than makeup and jewelry.  I could at least use it, and with the candles they were disposable.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I remember this girl from work who went to a "purse party". They were supposed to be authentic Coach...... Michaael Kors etc for $50.

She INSISTED that her friend was able to purchase them at a discount and they were the real thing. I remember clearly getting into an argument with her about them being bootlegs...

Sure enough......the next day she came in bragging about her Coach purse and how 'stupid' WE WERE for paying high prices for Designer handbags..

Honored Contributor

One of DH's bosses wife was a highly successful district manager for a couple home party plans.  She started inviting us to whatever and I told DH no way.  All she was going to do was pressure me to have parties, etc.  Not my kind of friend. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know if this is allowed or not....  A absolutely hilarious video of two men talking about pearl parties.   I laughed so hard I couldn't breath....   It's in spanish but has subtitles....  http://www.captiongenerator.com/351282/An-Interview-about-Oyster-Opening-Parties

Honored Contributor

What is the scam? 

Respected Contributor

The party vendors are opening Akoya salt water pearl shells and pulling out Freshwater pearls.  Some are claiming they are akoya, some are not.  Many of the pearls are dyed which is also not disclosed.  

The vendors measure the pearls and then look at a premade price appraisal from the National Pearl Association of the United States, Which by the way does not exist except for the Pearl Party gals to use.  The appraisals use no criteria except size, which is not done anywhere except pearl parties.

The appraisals I have seen at online parties the pearls are ranging in appraised prices between $30-$60.00. The real price for these commercial grade freshwater pearls is between 50 cents to a dollar, maybe $4.00 if you had a jeweler order you in one.

Many are complaining of long wait times for the jewlery they are having their pearls made into.  Some are cracking, breaking, falling off and the jewelry not being the alloy the seller is saying it is.  Some complain the serling that is not and turning necks green or breaking out.

If you bought Vantel pearls you may have some recourse as a class action group is forming.   Otherwise call the attorney generals office in the state you bought the pearls from and ask them to help you get your money back.

This was posted on another forum and was OK'd by the author to share.

The National Pearl Association of the United States

Pearl Party People looking for this "Appraised Pearl Value Chart" from the National Pearl Association of the United States please read this.

Bo Perry from the Providence office of the Cultured Pearl Association of America called me on Friday to vent a bit of frustration. He has been getting calls, almost on a daily basis, from people asking for some sort of "pearl size value chart" put out by some organization called "The National Pearl Association of the United States."

His response has been the same every time: there is no such organization and the chart you're describing would be impossible to legitimately produce.

Bo asked me to help stop the telephone calls and I thought a new thread here might help.

The National Pearl Association of the United States does not exist. It has never existed. It was made up by a "pearl oyster party" company in order to create a Appraised Pearl Value chart. This chart is not legitimate. The values are completely made up.

1. It's impossible to assign a pearl's value simply by it's size. Can you do that with diamonds or any other gemstones? Of course not. It's the quality and type of pearl that determines the value.

2. The chart states blue/silver and black are the most valuable. These are not natural colors. They are the least valuable.

3. The statement "We ONLY have EXCELLENT quality, the finest available in the industry!" is demonstrably false. The finest qualities would NEVER be inserted into an oyster and sold for a couple dollars apiece.

So please stop emailing and calling the Cultured Pearl Association of America. Do some Google research. Learn the name of the company that made up the association and call them
Honored Contributor

I'm also so glad to be past all of those parties!  When my neighborhood was new and we were all young moms it felt like I was going to one of these every month or so.

From  Tupperware, Home Interiors, Princess House, Pampered Chef, a candle one that I can't remember the name of, knock off Coach bags that we were told were authentic as another poster mentioned, Jewelry....lots of overpriced jewelry, Mary Kay, food, sexy lingerie & adult toys...I went to them all except these pearl parties...never heard of them and I'm glad that's one I didn't go to... probably another overpriced rip off product!