Respected Contributor

New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Party Scam

[ Edited ]

Have you been approached to go to a house party or have seen the live events on facebook or esty?  Oyster with pearl inside either in a can or in a plastic bag mailed to you.   Live events in a shell laying in a dish.

Some are legitimate, perhaps . While others are not.  Do your homework before attending.

Honored Contributor

Re: New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Parties....

Oh goodness @esmeraldagooch back in the day this was a product offering on QVC . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, up until recently they were offered here in the can.   Those were accuratly listed as to what they were, and I am not talking about those items.

Respected Contributor

By the way, If anyone did go to a Vantel party there is a class action lawsuit you might like to get in on.

https://www.classaction.org/vantel-pearls-lawsuits

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

By the way, If anyone did go to a Vantel party there is a class action lawsuit you might like to get in on.

https://www.classaction.org/vantel-pearls-lawsuits

Thank you. This is more helpful than the cryptic original post with no specifics.

Honored Contributor

I remember when JCP would have a pearl promotion at their jewelry counters. 

They sold settings to match the size of pearl that was found in the shell. 

Anyone else remember this?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry.   There seems to be a abundance of ladies who for some reason are starting home based business's selling these pearls in a shell schemes.  Some are in a pyramid scheme under a company name.  Some are just buying them from Alibaba and are setting up shop online or doing home parties.   They are grading the pearls once out of the shell and giving them ourtagious appraisals. Also many are claiming freshwater natural color and dyed freshwater are akoya pearls.  That is my main beef.   

While some are selling freshwater shells and are claiming they are freshwater, the majority I am seeing doing the shows are selling akoya shells filled with freshwater pearls.

If you go to alibaba you can find these items for sale there for $1.60 each, yet the appraisals I am seeing at the shows are apparaising them $30-$60.    Then you buy the settings.

Here is a pix from a "akoya" party seller on esty.   Now akoya do come in white and a few other colors, but peach, lavender , pink and dyed black are not some of them....

il_570xN.1035760600_d7zy (1).jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now you are wondering, How can that be?  A akoya shell with a freshwater pearl inside?    Yes, the pearls were not grown in these shells, the akoya shells are too small, besides the wrong type of pearl....  They were inserted and then put in a chemical which makes the muscle contract closing the shell.   As most who eat clams know, if the clam is dead they open so don't eat them, yet these dead oysters are closed.....

Honored Contributor

In my day it was Tupperware and other things too numerous to even remember.

Thank goodness everyone I know is too old to be selling anything.  

I guess that's one good thing about being old.....

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

In my day it was Tupperware and other things too numerous to even remember.

Thank goodness everyone I know is too old to be selling anything.  

I guess that's one good thing about being old.....

I know , in my younger days it was Princess House, Tupperware, jewelry, clothing, and some god awful home decor party, whose name I can't remember. Oh, and someone was always trying to get me to sell Amway.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan