Trusted Contributor
Coal
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I have a small black and white diamond pendant.  I love it but it's small and the diamonds were treated. They are very sparkly.

But I also have black spinel and IMO it is better than the black diamonds.

Honored Contributor
Most colored diamonds have been irradiated. A natural black diamond will cost you a fortune because only about 2% of the diamonds that come out of the ground have color. But the color of the diamond is what it would have become if left in the ground for another million years; so whatever colored diamond you may have it would have become that at some point anyway. Irradiation simply helps it along. Topaz are color treated as well but it's not the same process
Honored Contributor
Heads up! I just read an interesting article about brown diamonds. Apparently they are the most common natural color out of the ground, considered grade Z, and only good for industrial uses. there were so many of them, more than that could be used for industrial purposes, that le vian trademarked the name chocolate and turned them into a hot commodity! Kind of like diamonds in general huh?
Respected Contributor

Re: Natural Black Diamonds?

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:
Heads up! I just read an interesting article about brown diamonds. Apparently they are the most common natural color out of the ground, considered grade Z, and only good for industrial uses. there were so many of them, more than that could be used for industrial purposes, that le vian trademarked the name chocolate and turned them into a hot commodity! Kind of like diamonds in general huh?

This was when they decided to make brown diamonds a big deal... Started dyeing tahitian pearls brown also because they are very rare and you can't find enough in a consistant matching color to create strands or pairs for earrings.

ef91d3621f170cb508ad1a4e6e00a810.jpg

Frequent Contributor

If you are looking for black specifically I think spinel is better looking. I also like black agate and tourmeline. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo  Same with "champagne"  diamonds.   They're junk but it's all in the marketing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment