Respected Contributor

Re: NYC Jewelry District 47th Street Experience

I agree with those who bought their silver for the enjoyment of the piece, not the resale value. But I am not rich, and I am not stupid, so I stopped buying it when the price bore no relation to the real value in the marketplace. I reasoned that my money was better spent on something else, and if I really wanted something new, costume was not so bad. I still love some of the designers' designs, and mourn the loss of their desire to reach the middle class customer with reasonable prices, which made it possible for me to buy and wear it.

Honored Contributor

I will chime in, though I have no experience with selling any jewerly in NY.  

I have upon occasion attempted to sell both gold and silver, and even some smaller diamonds and have had little success.  

I have had basically the same experience with silver as all of you have had.  It is treated as if it were junk.  Not worth anything.  I think this is terrible considering that the price of silver jewelry is atrocious these days.  Of course, I am dating myself, but not that many years ago, one could buy all sorts of nice silver jewelry very reasonably.  I have always loved silver ever since I can remember and it really looks better on me.  But once the price shot up, I can't even afford to buy any decent silver pieces.  Now, hearing and seeing that our silver pieces are not considered worth anything is very disheartening!!!

I had a few very signifcant and heavy pieces of gold jewelry that I wanted to sell a couple of years back, as I no longer wore them.  I eventually did sell them, but did not get even close to what I should have.  

Of course, we usually don't buy jewelry with the intent of thinking what we can sell the pieces for, but there are times when the items are not worn any longer and you think it might be better to see if you can make some money from them.  Sadly, you might as  well just hang on to them.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The gold pieces that my mother sold were odds and ends. Like a single earring missing its partner and broken pieces in 18K. However the silver pieces had been given to her over the years and never worn. The whole experience was an eye opener. But I'm glad it's over with. The rest if my trip was wonderful.  Forgot to mention I did buy a beautiful Marco Bicego 18K ring without stones for daily wear. 

Frequent Contributor

@customer 5--So glad you shared your "eye opening" experience in NYC!! I just had to comment that I've been eyeing some Bicego jewelry for about a year now.  I've love to start with a simple band without stones and add a few pieces over time....  I'm now on a quest to find a simply beautiful no gemstone ring from that line.  The buttery 18K satin finish used is my favorite!  Thanks for mentioning....just in time to add it to my X-Mas wish list for DH. 

Super Contributor

The satin finish is a wonderful choice. I do hope you enjoy your gift for many years.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you customer 5 -  you do the same!!  Hopefully I will receive it as a gift from my DH.  If not, I LUV to-me from-me gifts as well - they are always perfect!!

Super Contributor

Please let us know what you chose and how you like it. There aren't any reviews of Marco Bicego pieces if any. 

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't call silver junk. It's just that at about $15.50 an oz. it's not worth it to them to pay the cost to process used silver pieces. Jewelry is .925 silver so worth even less an oz. Saying it should cost less in a finished piece because of the low cost of the raw materials is like saying a designer gown costs too much at thousands of dollars because the fabric used to make it is only worth a few hundred. You are paying for the design, craftsmanship and name. Major banks have bought up recently billions of dollars in silver bullion so it's expected to go up if the economy goes south.

Silver jewelry is not an investment like gold pieces are. Buy it for the beauty of the metal, the design, and for how it enhances you. It's a beautiful metal, hardly worthless.

Trusted Contributor

If you want to know what jewelry is worth resale, just check out what pieces are going for on ebay.  Not what the asking price is, but what the jewelry actually sells for.  That gives you a realistic ballpark figure.