Honored Contributor

Moissainte on Evine tonight and Gem Treasures,.  For those who are interested.

Valued Contributor

I'm looking....haven't had Moissanite before.

Honored Contributor

I have not either, I do like looking at the pieces.  Usually I only see them on JTV.  It's nice the stones are set in gold.

Honored Contributor
I honestly don't get the whole moissonite thing. Isn't it man made? Why is it so expensive? I suppose it's somewhere along the lines of the corporately created perceived value of the (plentiful) diamond but a little more baffling
Esteemed Contributor

I watched it and I ordered the 3-stone ring!! Can't wait to get it! I LOVE Moissanite. I actually prefer it over diamonds. 

Honored Contributor

Moissanite is man-made by a patented process which only one company can sell as a wholeseller,  Charles &  Covart.   To me it seems more sparkly than a diamond and is nothing like a CZ. 

When Shop At Home went out of business and was doing their final clearance,  one night I tuned in and they had one of this ring,  in my size,  in a heavy wg setting.   It's a highway design with a large stone and a "bridge"  set with smaller stones.   Doesn't look like a wedding ring.   I grabbed it.   It always gets a lot of attention. 

A friend saw my ring at Christmas and was so taken with it that she ordered herself one from the Charles &  Covert website. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a Moissanite ring, it's fine. My husband liked it and said, you should get one of those. It doesn't knock my socks off like gemstones do. Different strokes for different folks. I love sparkly some days and other days I want color. Best of both worlds!

Respected Contributor

So wanted the 1.88 ctw solitaire - but my size sold out.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Moissanite has a property known as double refraction. When a ray of light passes through the gemstone it is slowed, bent and split in two. Sapphire is a doubly refractive material as well, as are peridot, tourmaline and zircon. To some degree it is this property that gives Moissanite its amazing fire. However it is often cited by critics of Moissanite, typically by companies who sell CZ, as a disadvantage, claiming that the double refraction will make the stone appear blurry. What they don't say is that every double refractive gem has at least one direction in which the material behaves like a singly refractive gem. This is referred to as the optic axis, and does not break light into two rays.

Moissanite is cut so that this direction of single refraction is though the table. This means that the doubling is not apparent when the stone is viewed though the table (top of the stone). Moissanite must be viewed at 10x magnification (jewelers loupe) through any other crown facet (e.g. star, or bezel) to see the doubling. Most of our customers do not know or realize that Moissanite is double refractive, and we provide this explanation and images to explain that, although it is a unique property of Moissanite, it does not negatively effect its beauty.

I have many pieces and have NO complaints.  It's held up better than CZ and looks much more realistic.

Honored Contributor

I was shocked to see JTV selling this last night in a sterling setting.  Sorry, for $349.00 , they might have used gold.