Super Contributor
On 2/20/2014 kachina624 said:
On 2/20/2014 ennui1 said:
On 2/20/2014 Hibi said:

LOL. I didn't realize I wrote batteries. I mean preserve the magnets!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've never owned a magnetic clasp -- some things I've read here on the forums are that you need to pay attention because the clasp will stick to things like grocery carts and you might lose it ... sometimes the magnets will come unglued, and you can fix it with Krazy Glue, but be sure the magnets are facing correctly, otherwise they will repel instead of attract.

Now they're making the magnetic clasps so there's a barrel shaped piece that fits into a hole on the other side. Because the magnet is recessed they don't seem so attracted to other steel objects like flatware. I got the leather magnetic stainless bracelet today and tried to get it to stick to a fork and it just wasn't interested.

Yes, I have one of those newer claps where the magnet fits inside a tube on the other end of the clasp. Seems to keep it from "wandering". Have had no problems with it. Took a few tries to get the hang of it, as the magnets don't attach until you fit it in the tube.....

Contributor

I LOVE magnetic clasps and it is very true about problematic with computers, phones, other electronics, but that is IF the magnet comes loose or perhaps in direct contact. What I learned the hard way... I put a bracelet in my purse and it came unlatched and that tiny magnet WIPED OUT MY CREDIT CARD AND GROCERY CARD magnetic stripe and was a real pain and had to get completely new cards. I understand that the companies are doing something about this now and that magnets will not wipe some of the cards stripes out now. I still wear magnetic bracelets and love them, but am much more careful now. I have had good luck with storing them clasp securely and not left open. Have a blessed day!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I was wearing a bracelet with magnets on the same arm as my watch. Kept having problems with the watch running slow. My jeweler refused to change the battery because according to him, it was registering as a "good" battery. He also couldn't find anything wrong with the watch mechanism. Finally on the third visit, the jeweler was cleaning my rings and asked if I wanted the bracelet cleaned. When I removed it, he told me that he had finally discovered the reason my watch was losing time. It was the magnets. I moved the bracelet to the other arm and have had no problems with the watch.

I don't think this happens with all watches but some are sensitive to the magnetic force.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Super Contributor

I don't care for magnetic clasps.

Super Contributor
On 2/25/2014 Tique said:

I was wearing a bracelet with magnets on the same arm as my watch. Kept having problems with the watch running slow. My jeweler refused to change the battery because according to him, it was registering as a "good" battery. He also couldn't find anything wrong with the watch mechanism. Finally on the third visit, the jeweler was cleaning my rings and asked if I wanted the bracelet cleaned. When I removed it, he told me that he had finally discovered the reason my watch was losing time. It was the magnets.

There's a review for the Honora Ming charm bracelet that says the magnet actually pulled the back off of her watch. It must have attached to the stainless steel case?

Respected Contributor

Tique, I was getting ready to post about my watch experience when I read about yours. I was wearing a magnetic clasp bracelet next to my watch, then noticed the watch suddenly had the wrong time. I thought the battery was bad, so I put on a different watch the next day. When the same thing happened again, it dawned on me that it was the bracelet. As long as the clasp stays on the underside of your wrist while the watch face is on the top, you'll be fine, but as you know the bracelet is bound to flip around. I did reset both watches, and they were fine again.

I have a newer Bronzo/Honora bracelet that has an extremely strong magnetic clasp on it. It's actually hard to remove the bracelet. It's just the "egg" type clasp, so it will pick up items throughout the day, and also tends to get happy with my Steelcase desk top, but the bracelet never actually comes unclasped. I got up from my desk one day, and my scissors were hanging off my wrist. After that, I found I could actually pick up a stapler with that bracelet!

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

LOL. Has many uses it seems........Now that's strong!

Super Contributor
On 2/26/2014 2blonde said:

I got up from my desk one day, and my scissors were hanging off my wrist. After that, I found I could actually pick up a stapler with that bracelet!

That's when my boss would walk by and say, 'I have a project for you,' and it would be something tedious. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}