Respected Contributor

Losing someone else's jewelry...

I store a few expensive pieces for my sis who travels often.  Today she asked me to retrieve a 3 stone diamond ring of hers.  Went to get it and it was gone!!

Needless to say I was in a panic.  Looked through the zip bag I keep her stuff in.  Opened the box with her diamond bracelet, setting the box top aside,  but no luck - I even ripped the bottom of the bracelet box up hoping the ring was under that padded thing the bracelet sits on.  Ripped out everything from my safe which is very organized.  Still no ring.  Ran to the bank to check my safe deposit - nope.

Got home and was crying.  My sister lost her engagement ring last summer and I was dreading telling her I'd somehow lost this one.  Went to my safe one more time, opened the bracelet box and there it was on top of the bracelet! The ring was in a small jewelers envelope and somehow that must've been stuck to the inside top of the bracelet box.  It was just the right width to stay tucked there.  It's weird that while I ripped open the padding the bracelet was on, I never looked under the top part of the box.

smh.  So thankful right now.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Losing someone else's jewelry...

I just glad you found it That would of been a ruff one to deal with.

Respected Contributor

It's wonderful this has a happy ending, but if it happened to me, you know what I'd call it?

A warning.

Even more precious than the jewelry is your relationship with your sister, and it would be heartbreaking if something actually did happen to the jewelry and the loss came between you. 

Assuming she has a permanent address, she can get a safe deposit box and store her jewelry there. Just a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

I had a good size diamond ring willed to me by a favorite aunt.   She wanted me to have it because I didn't have a diamond wedding band.   I'm not a diamond girl and really didn't want one.   After one burglary years ago,  I was so afraid of another that I gave the ring to my sister.   It was so freeing to be rid of the responsibility. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never want to be responsible for someone else's jewelry.

Glad you found it; what a relief!!

Respected Contributor

Glad you found the ring.  

A suggestion... make a list of the pieces you are holding for your sister,  and also a coded note about where you put each one.   That way you can keep track for the future, especially if your sister retrieves a piece to wear sometime.  And you won't have the panic of an important item hiding.  

I've been there... I know a pair of earrings is in a particular jewelry box,  and I can't find it.   Sometimes I have to look 3 times and empty everything out and go thru the jewelry one piece at a time.  Panic sets in easily.

Respected Contributor

Im sure it was a scary moment.  Glad everything turned out OK.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for your kindness!  After last night, I have to agree that I need to get these things into her hands once and for all.  I think I'll get her to open a safe deposit box here and put the pieces in it.  

She lives in a more populated part of the country and she's already had her jewelry stolen.  That was years ago which is why she gives it to me for safekeeping.  It would've broken her heart to lose this ring in addition to the one she already lost last summer.  And I'd have always felt responsible for letting her down.

I was going to give the ring to her today but stuff happened with our elderly folks (Dad fell and cut his face) and the timing wasn't right to exchange and chatter about jewelry.  This coming week I told her I will be giving it back.  Maybe at that time we can get the safe deposit box, too.  

Honored Contributor

@Kalli  Your sis needs to rent a safety deposit box.  You do not need to go through that. I sure would not.

Honored Contributor

I am so very happy you found it!  I swear, I was sweating it out there for a while..lol  I have two sisters, so I was imagining how that conversation would have gone.