Occasional Contributor

Re: Jewelry Purchase Regrets?

Yes!  Recently I purchased three Etrna Gold pieces that were thin, tin like junk that will break without a thought!  I am so upset because the return shipping is EXPENSIVE!!! I am done with QVC for a while.  The last few purchases I have made based upon the presentation were misrepresented (putting it mildly). 

Honored Contributor

Most of my HOnora purchases are regrets; although not the gift purchases.

I'm just not a pearl girl.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I think all of us who have lots of jewelry have pieces we seldom wear and regret paying for, but we also have pieces we used to love wearing and now they just don't fit into our current lifestyle.

As for buying pieces and never wearing them?  --  one of the best observations about that I remember reading was that "we often buy for the life we want to have, not for the life we're actually living."  I do longer remember whether the writer was talking about jewlery or clothes, but does it matter?

@grammarqueenI have a hard time passing up pearls (much better now that Lisa is gone!), but I'd send those pearls back.  You are not in love with them.

@millieshops, I could have written this exact post.  I tend to buy for the life I want, and not the one I am living.  QVC is very good at selling this way -- "for the ladies who lunch" -- this is such a stupid phrase.  Most eat lunch.  Most are not eating out with girlfriends at country clubs.  PLUS, I also bought way too many pearls, both white and colored, necklaces and bracelets.  The whole, "Oh, I don't know if we will get another harvest like this one", blah blah blah got me ordering.  I rarely wear them and would gladly return them all now if I could.  Live and learn, and be the poorer for it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_SerenityWe are all so different. 

I'm happy with my good costume jewelry.  I have quite a collection of that, but most of mine is one of a kind and in almost every case, I've talked with the designer/craftsperson.  Makes them special to me.  I have almost no regrets about any of my costume pieces.

I love my "fine" pieces, but they're just not as much fun for me to wear as my costume.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Sweet_SerenityWe are all so different. 

I'm happy with my good costume jewelry.  I have quite a collection of that, but most of mine is one of a kind and in almost every case, I've talked with the designer/craftsperson.  Makes them special to me.  I have almost no regrets about any of my costume pieces.

I love my "fine" pieces, but they're just not as much fun for me to wear as my costume.

Yes we are, Enjoy your jewelry in good health.
Regular Contributor

I have to honestly say the only jewelry purchase regrets I have are

1. Alex+ Ani

2. Pandora/Chamilia brace,ets + charms

3. Trendy over the top "statement"       necklaces or any costume item bought for a specific outfit

Valued Contributor

I'm so happy you said you have bought duplicates. I've done that also and questioned my sanity but I have so much jewelry,  I'll blame it on that!

Honored Contributor

Perhaps we sometimes are drawn to something that proves less than our expectations.

I typically prefer jewelry made from precious metals, but I LOVE my Alex & and for the sweet associations that they have for me.

There was a difficult time in my life when I wore wedding ring sets of 14k gold and Diamonique, and they never, EVER failed me. I would not buy such sets now, because of the lack of real gold "presence"

Other pieces that I might consider unimportant have other sweet associations, and whatever they're made of, I enjoy them very much.

Reading the other comments here, I'm finding it positive that it isn't "just me"!

Honored Contributor

I have a life-long passion for jewelry -- all things shiny, gold, silver, colorful, real or faux!  I wish I didn't have this passion but I always have and I guess I always will!  

I don't have the time to wear even a third of what I have.  

I have a regret that I sold 2 very large heavy and weighty yellow gold pieces of jewelry a few years ago -- I rarely wore them and told myself --- why not get the money -- which I really needed at the time. But now I think of those 2 pieces as they were gorgeous and I would never ever be able to afford pieces like that again.  And I have had a change of heart.  At that time I was more into white metals and now although i still love the white, I am geting more into the yellow again!

Also, I would like to be able to turn back the clock for a few days and go back to the days when the jewelry at the Q -- the good stuff - was so much more affordable -- and I would really load up!  LOL!  I made wish lists galore and had so many jewelry items that I was going to purchase.

Another regret I have is that I would spend a lot less on costume jewelry.   While I do like it, I have so much of it and am running out of storage space and I would have been better off buying less jewelry and just buy primarily the real stuff!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I am attracted to gemstones and was buying jewlery just for the "rarity" or "bargain": they were - not because I loved them - then down the line I bought better pieces and the smaller ones got pushed to the far reaches of the jewelry box.

I do not regret the classic items - pearls, 18kt gold earrings, and 21kt gold pendants, earrings and ring I got from the old Shop NBC - the buttery goldness of it is just great and I could never afford the prices now.