Honored Contributor

Surprised how long a silver / jewelry polish cloth lasts!

I give my jewelry a quick once over with the polishing cloth before I put it on ... and since I wear the same stuff almost all the time - it's polished everyday.

Ths morning I'm looking at the cloth ... and realized I've been using the same cloth just about every day for the past 20 years - and it's done a great job but is rather soiled (aka dirty).

I just went on Amazon and bought a new one!  Old one is still doing a goodd job - and I hesitate to toss it.  Maybe I'll just fold it up and stick it n the bottom of the jewelry box.  

Honored Contributor

Mine get really nasty looking but they just keep polishing.  I use nothing but Sunshine Cloths.  I find if I wear silver daily, it doesn't ever need polishing.  I've worn at least 5 bangles everyday for 20 years and they've never been polished yet they're bright and shiny. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

We me - it's probably just force of habit / routine .... like washing my face and brushing my teeth before I go to bed.

I iron clothes before I wear them, I run a quck shine sponge over my shoes before I put them on, and run the cleaning cloth over my jewelry.

My silver always looks better after a once-over with the cloth.

------------------------------------

@Kachina624 wrote:

Mine get really nasty looking but they just keep polishing.  I use nothing but Sunshine Cloths.  I find if I wear silver daily, it doesn't ever need polishing.  I've worn at least 5 bangles everyday for 20 years and they've never been polished yet they're bright and shiny. 

Honored Contributor

I am even amazed at all the tarnish that  comes off gold...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am even amazed at all the tarnish that  comes off gold...

It was a surprise to me too.  I have a heavy 20" long gold chain, that will self-polish no matter how much I've polished it! It especially loves cashmere. LOL! I only wear it with the dark colored sweaters/tops.Who knew??? 

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA I am glad you are keeping the old cloth. When the new one arrives compare it to the old one. It might be fun to clean a pair of earrings using the old cloth on one and the new one on the other. I wonder if the quality has been diminished on polishing cloths like it has on so many other products.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Surprised how long a silver / jewelry polish cloth lasts!

I give my jewelry a quick once over with the polishing cloth before I put it on ... and since I wear the same stuff almost all the time - it's polished everyday.

Ths morning I'm looking at the cloth ... and realized I've been using the same cloth just about every day for the past 20 years - and it's done a great job but is rather soiled (aka dirty).

I just went on Amazon and bought a new one!  Old one is still doing a goodd job - and I hesitate to toss it.  Maybe I'll just fold it up and stick it n the bottom of the jewelry box.  

@ALRATIBA   You can purchase a pkg. of Sunshine Cloths (3-5 cloths) from an online jewelry making catalog or soometimes at a jewelry store. I keep 3 in rotation. I only wear white metals. What @Kachina624 says is true. The more you wear certain pieces, they never need polishing. I do, however have to clean earrings that I don't wear regularly. 

When I do polish many pieces for about 6 months, the cloths get very dingy and dirty. I can't believe yours lasted for decades!!! 

Honored Contributor

There was a teacher on our staff silver with silver that had an incredible shine.  She washed it with soap and water!

I do know that semi precious stones will absorb soap and become permanently "milky".

Super Contributor

I have a LOT of silver/turquoise jewelry...does anyone know if the Sunshine Cloths are safe to use on turquoise?

Honored Contributor

@PJinIA wrote:

I have a LOT of silver/turquoise jewelry...does anyone know if the Sunshine Cloths are safe to use on turquoise?

@Kachina624   I thought maybe you could help @PJinIA .  I use Sunshine polishing cloths, too, but have never used them on turquoise.  pitstop, I think they're only for silver.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau