Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Education isn't harmful to share. This is similar to conflicts in other parts of the world that affect consumer choices, I.e. conflict-mined diamonds:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/06/world/asia/afghanistan-lajwardeen-mining-lapis-lazuli.html

Obviously the Taliban controls the country so it would be impossible to avoid their involvement.  I wonder if Jay has been using lapis from his own reserves, or if he was able to purchase it from other rock hounds who have had it squirreled away.

Respected Contributor

Re: Jay King Lapis

[ Edited ]

I have been watching Jay King for years and he said he has been using the Lapis he bought a few years ago when he could get into the area.  Yes, he bought it from that country, but cannot buy now because of the problems.  So, if you don't want to purchase because of the country I understand your point.  The money probably went to them eventually.  I don't buy Lapis because I don't care for it so I don't have to worry.

Honored Contributor

I have a nie lapis ring from JTV, it is set in gold over silver (one of the few pieces that the gold has not worn off) not sure what is different about this one.  Anyway the accent stones are citrine.  It is square cut, the blue and the gold is a nice combo.  I purchased this years ago.

Honored Contributor

I got a big BIG lapis cuff that would stagger a buffalo

bought it long time ago.

Honored Contributor

I bought JK most recent TS --it was in lapis, thulite and one other stone bead necklace. I got it but decided to send it back-- altho it was beautiful lapis, just didn't float my boat.