Trusted Contributor

JR markings inside of jewelry

Can someone verify for me the different markings or definations inside the different JR jewelry lines.

I have a ring that says: JR 18k 925 and a horsehoe insignia.

My questions...Does this ring have diamonds, czs or white sapphires? Does the horsehoe mean anything?

Also.... Does JR TWO jewelry have sapphire or diamonds as accent stones?

The ring looks almost like this one: Thanks for any help!

photo ripkaring1_zpsc4a276e6.jpg

photo ripkaring2_zpsdc9ea563.jpg

Valued Contributor

Re: JR markings inside of jewelry

It is a JR Two ring with 18K as marked. Usually, JR Two uses white sapphires. I have no idea what the U shape means. I am curious, also.
Super Contributor

Hi, the markings are correct for JR from her boutiques/sample sales/website. Older pieces in her JR2 line are marked with a "JR2" and are constructed with 18k gold and diamonds. The JR2 line did use real VS2 quality diamonds in their mounts. The use of white sapphires came when she introduced all sterling (rhodium plated) into her non-Q line. Around the same time, or slightly later, she began to use white sapphires with her sterling and 18k designs. The first JR that I purchased that did not have diamonds nor 18k was the original Oprah earring pair. I am sure other Ripkanistas can give a more accurate time line, but suffice it to say, I have many pieces with very heavy 18k gold and diamonds that are from the JR2 line.

ETA: the "U" is a horseshoe and is her makers mark

Honored Contributor

To me, this ring doesn't resemble what she has sold on QVC at any time. Maybe I wasn't watching at first, but I have had about 4 pieces from the old old days and the workmanship wasn't of this quality.

Honored Contributor

I have this ring, or one very similar. I purchased it at NM Last Call and they are white sapphires.

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2014 lulu2 said:

I have this ring, or one very similar. I purchased it at NM Last Call and they are white sapphires.

Thanks!

Cubic zirconia items (anyone's) are usually stamped CZ. Diamonique used to be stamped DQCZ -- maybe it still is?

Contributor

On 4/7/2014 smarty said:

Hi, the markings are correct for JR from her boutiques/sample sales/website. Older pieces in her JR2 line are marked with a "JR2" and are constructed with 18k gold and diamonds. The JR2 line did use real VS2 quality diamonds in their mounts. The use of white sapphires came when she introduced all sterling (rhodium plated) into her non-Q line. Around the same time, or slightly later, she began to use white sapphires with her sterling and 18k designs. The first JR that I purchased that did not have diamonds nor 18k was the original 2Oprah earring pair. I am sure other Ripkanistas can give a more accurate time line, but suffice it to say, I have many pieces with very heavy 18k gold and diamonds that are from the JR2 line.

ETA: the "U" is a horseshoe and is her makers mark

</ Originally the sterling only line was only sold at QVC. The JR 2 line was sterling with cast gold accents. I have seen descriptions written naming white topaz, white rhinestone,white zircon,white sapphire,clear crystal, CZ, DMQ, and diamond. Also, I've read descriptions with gold from 10 to 12 to 14 to 18K. Some designs span all lines, or have only the most minor of variations. My jeweler says diamond testing on very small closely set stones can sometimes get tricky with some methods. Buyer beware, especially on the secondary market!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies for all the info. I was thinking it was sapphires. I have seen different Ebay sellers will describe the stones as diamonds or sapphires & somstimes CZ. I was wondering why it wasn't marked JR2. Maybe this is one of 1st silver pieces from the line.

It is a pretty ring and the workmanship is exquisite.

Super Contributor

Best Dressed - just saw this ring on Ebay sellng for $295.00 - it is diamonds and 14K --very nice piece!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2014 cooking lady said:

Best Dressed - just saw this ring on Ebay sellng for $295.00 - it is diamonds and 14K --very nice piece!

Because a seller says it has diamonds and is 14K, does not mean it is. I believe I have this ring and they are white sapphires with 18K.